Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
J. Webb

Default How do I use two data sources in same document for mail merge?

Is it possible to link two access databases to a single Word document for the
mail merge function? The way the data is set up, the 1st access db pulls the
project leads. The 2nd access db would be a query on the 1st db results and
list all the programmers assigned to each project. I only want the e-mail to
go to the project lead and not the programmer.

Also - if there is an easier way to do this, I would appreciate any
suggestions. This process needs to be as repeatable, efficient and simple as
possible.

Thank you! Jennifer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Word isn't really designed to do this, but with some limitations you can do
it by setting up the 1st access table/query as the mail merge data source,
and using a DATABASE field to get the list of programmers. You have to edit
the SQL in the DATABASE so that it has a WHERE clause that restricts the
records returnd to the current project, e.g. if the project lead has a
column called ProjectID which is used as a foreigh key in the programmer
list, you might have a WHERE claues such as

WHERE `ProjectID` = '{ MERGEFIELD ProjectID }'

There's an example at

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

Peter Jamieson
"J. Webb" J. wrote in message
Is it possible to link two access databases to a single Word document for
the
mail merge function? The way the data is set up, the 1st access db pulls
the
project leads. The 2nd access db would be a query on the 1st db results
and
list all the programmers assigned to each project. I only want the e-mail
go to the project lead and not the programmer.

Also - if there is an easier way to do this, I would appreciate any
suggestions. This process needs to be as repeatable, efficient and simple
as
possible.

Thank you! Jennifer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
J. Webb

Hi Peter - Thank you for your reply. We will try this method and if we have
any additional problems, I'll send another post tomorrow. Thank you again!
Jennifer.