Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
M~T M~T is offline

Default How to create a single yet dynamic document using mail merge?

Hi,

I am trying to create a document in Word 2003 with the following
properties.

Section 1 - Coversheet, Table of Contents, Introduction

Section 2 - Pulls in data from an Excel sheet, (several paragraphs
with a short title and longer description) based on a value in each
row to describe the audience

Section 3 - Summary text

No page breaks enforced by the mail merge. I've spent a day
researching and experimenting and still haven't got here yet.

For Section 1 - I've learnt how to use the Includetext and bookmarks
to pull in text that is formatted (with varying degrees of success due
to using heading styles and TOC). I am prepared to discard those in
order to achieve my end goal.

For Section 2 - I've learnt how to use the Directory mail merge but
this repeats the text in section 1. I've read MS KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294686/ 'How to use mail merge to
create a list sorted by category in Word' but haven't been able to
make it work for me yet.

Section 3 - should be simple, based on Include text I assume?

If I wanted to replicate the original manual word file (for bonus
credit) there would also be style headers (H1, 2 etc) in between the
sections, including within Section 2 but again I realise this may be
impossible.

Can anyone offer advice on how I might complete this project?

Thanks

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi M~T,

For '2', your problem description doesn't really suggest a Directory merge but, if you've got a variable number of records per
letter, it may be. If so, check out my Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=731107
or
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip
Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included with it.

--
Cheers
macropod