Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Homestead Grays Homestead Grays is offline

Default Single Source or Re-Use Content in MS Word 2007

I'm attempting to construct modular documentation. My company utilizes MS
Word 2007. We have several software and system specifications that contain
the same content. Instead of cut and paste, we have come up with the idea of
modular documentation.

I know that MS Word 2007 has a Building Block feature. I don't believe that
is the most efficient method of single source (building modular
documentation).

I've been successful with building modular documentation with other
authoring tools (Adobe FrameMaker+SGML), but is the same success achievable
with MS Word 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Homestead

Homestead Grays wrote:
I'm attempting to construct modular documentation. My company utilizes MS
Word 2007. We have several software and system specifications that contain
the same content. Instead of cut and paste, we have come up with the idea of
modular documentation.

I know that MS Word 2007 has a Building Block feature. I don't believe that
is the most efficient method of single source (building modular
documentation).

I've been successful with building modular documentation with other
authoring tools (Adobe FrameMaker+SGML), but is the same success achievable
with MS Word 2007?

I can't say I'm familiar with SGML and Frame on more than a conceptual
level. I suspect that to optimize the usage of Word in your scenario,
you want to look into a DB-driven publishing process (like: breaking
down the data into atomic bits). Then compile individual components by,
say, programming against the Word OM, and/or going the XML way all along).

0.02cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |