Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PL PL is offline

Default Footnote Continuation Separator

Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next page and my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead of my
main body text?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is by design. Your footnote will continue on the next page only when it
reaches the limit available on the first page, which happens when it reaches
up to the place where the footnote is referenced in the text. Before that it
will expand upward as far as possible to keep the entire note on the page
where it is referenced.

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next page and
my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead of my
main body text?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PL PL is offline

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

But how do I ensure the footnote continues onto the next page instead of
upward?

Thanks

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next page and
my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead of my
main body text?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

All you can do is make sure that the Footnote Text style is not formatted as
"Keep lines together." Beyond that, you have no control over Word's
behavior.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the
footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next page
and
my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead of
my
main body text?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PL PL is offline

Hi
Then what''s a
Footnote Continuation Separator for?

I understand that Word sometimes insert it by default when the footnote
continues onto the next page.

But in my case WOrd only insert Footnote Separator
Thanks

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the
footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next page
and
my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead of
my
main body text?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that when your footnote continues to the next page you don't
get the Footnote Continuation Separator? If that's the case, swtich to
Normal/Draft view and View | Footnotes or Show Notes. Click the arrow on the
toolbar at the top of the footnote pane and select Footnote Continuation
Separator. Then click Reset.

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the
footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next
page
and
my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead
of
my
main body text?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PL PL is offline

Sorry

But my footnote keep continuing upwards onto the same page instead of the
that the Footnote Continuation Separator will be inserted by default?

Thanks

"PL" wrote in message
Hi

When I add to my footnote text, instead of continuating onto the
footnote
area of the next page, my main body text get pushed onto the next
page
and
my
footnote area get larger.

I thought Footnote Continuation Separator is inserted automatically?

So how do I ensure my footnote continue onto the next page, instead
of
my
main body text?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You cannot do what you are asking to do.

It is wrong.

Footnotes are never broken to the next page when there is room to
accommodate them on the page where they start.