Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
spartiaticus spartiaticus is offline

Default Changing outline level modifies currrent style settings in Word 20

Why does Word 2007 always apply a style modification every time I promote or
demote an outline level in my document? Previous versions of Word retained
the style and font unaltered whenerver an oultine level change was made. If
there is a setting to prevent automatic application of a different style,
someone please let me know where this is. I'm tired of always needing to
reformat my fonts and other document settings when modifying the ouline
level.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

How are you applying the levels? What style is assigned at the outset?

I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen, but Word 2007 works
essentially the same way in this respect that every previous version of Word
has worked. When using heading styles, outline levels correspond to Heading
1 through Heading 9.

You can associate other styles with specific outline levels. But, Heading 1
through 9 are assigned by default.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"spartiaticus" wrote in message
Why does Word 2007 always apply a style modification every time I promote
or
demote an outline level in my document? Previous versions of Word retained
the style and font unaltered whenerver an oultine level change was made.
If
there is a setting to prevent automatic application of a different style,
someone please let me know where this is. I'm tired of always needing to
reformat my fonts and other document settings when modifying the ouline
level.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
spartiaticus spartiaticus is offline

Default Changing outline level modifies currrent style settings in Wor

Hi,

In Word 2003, whenever I changed the outline level through the toolbar icon,
my document formatting (font, indent, spacing, etc.) for that specific
heading would not change. Only the outline level changed. In word 2007, doing
the same thing forces what seems to be a default heading style to the area of
the document that is changed. Although I believe I understand the reason for
this. it was unexpected.

The document is not new but was created in a previous version of Word. I
would expect Word 2007 to respect the original formatting of the document and
not apply any other style, default or otherwise unless explicitly commanded
to do so. As it is right now, when promoting or demoting an outline level I
must make a host of other modifications to revert to the document's original
formatting.

If I am doing something wrong, please inform so that I can properly use this
newer version, or direct me to a workaround that is just as effective. Thank
you.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In a new document, running Word 2003 and 2007 side-by-side, applying
different outline levels to test text yields identical behavior in both
versions of Word. So, I'm not seeing whatever you're seeing. So, it might be
something odd about that document. I.e., it sounds like your expectations
are correct... do you get the expected behavior in a brand new document?

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The new thing about W2007 is that the multilievel list icon is there beside
the bullets and numbering icons. Those last two (actually the two left
icons in the list section) are what you used in W2003 and before. The levels
are not associated with different styles, and will be all in the _list
paragraph_ style, unless you have chosen the option to have them in normal.

You apparently clicked the multilevel list icon. It is equivalent to
W2003's outline list and behaves pretty much the same way. Both are linked to
styles and when an item gets promoted or demoted, its style changes too.
Multilevel/outline lists are used, for example, for numbered headings or for
numbered paragraphs and clauses in legal documents.

Your fix is this:

If you, for the most part, don't use styles, select a list, clear formatting,
and then click the bullet or numbering icon; demote list items as
necessary.

Or

If your documents are styles based, apply the appropriate list bullet style
or list number style to your list items.

Good luck,
PamC

spartiaticus wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you referring to the Outline Level button on the Outlining tab of the
ribbon? It does seem to behave differently compared to earlier versions.
Note that you can assign outline levels as direct formatting via the
Paragraph dialog box.

However, it *is* easier to apply outline levels by applying styles to text.
You can modify the styles to suit your needs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
spartiaticus spartiaticus is offline

I distinctly remember using Word 2003's outline list since I wanted my TOC to
be modified in accordance with the changes I made throughout the document
body. I know with 100% certainty I did not use the bullets or numbering
icons. This much I'm sure of. They accomplish other things. What I'm not
entirely certain of is whether I enabled some other setting that
automatically adopts the user's chosen outline formatting for future editing.
I remember being queried by the application regarding maintaining my current
formatting, something I have not seen surface in Word 2007...

Perhaps I should have elucidated this in my first post. The 'icon' I'm using
is actually a drop-down box that I added to the toolbar where you can
customize it in the options section. If this is equivalent to 2003's outline
list, I have chosen the correct tool based on my previous experience, but it
doesn't cause the same results. My intention is not to create 'lists' per se,
but hierarchical titles for document chapters and sections that will be
reflected in the TOC as well as being conveniently accessed through the
document map. This was such a simple affair in Word 2003 that's turning into
an editing nighhtmare tantamount to an entire work in and of itself.

spartiaticus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think this is part of the same bug I have reported with the "Add Text"
button in the References | Table of Contents group. Word's Help* implies
that marking selected text with this button will just change the outline
level (so that the text is included in the TOC), and the expectation is that
it will function similar to a TC field or at least a style separator. In
fact, it applies a heading style to the entire paragraph, not just the
marked text.

*Create a table of contents | Mark entries for a table of contents | Mark
individual text entries, which begins "If you want the table of contents to
include text that is not formatted as a heading, you can use this procedure
to mark individual text entries."