Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell David Powell is offline

Default Can you over-ride hidden text (explicitly not hidden)?

I will first explain my objective, then my problem and current workaround. I
am open to alternative solutions also.

I want a book of readings which largely preserve the individual formatting
of the readings, with the exception of the addition of headers and footers
which identify the page number and the name of the reading. I am using a
STYLEREF field to identify the reading in the footer. The readings
themselves are sometimes "page images" - scanned pages. I want to identify
the reading invisibly with a style that the STYLEREF can use as the running
head (or "running foot", if you like).

I created a character style called "InvisibleTopicLabel" which had the
Hidden effect set. However, I couldn't get this to appear in the STYLEREF
reference, even after removing "\* MERGEFORMAT", and even after explicitly
applying "\* CHARFORMAT" and a special style for the STYLEREF. In fact, in
trying to define that special style, I found that while I could explicitly
assert a "No ..." for other effects (like "underline"), I could not do so for
"Hidden". Is this a known restriction, or am I missing something?

My workaround was to define "InvisibleTopicLabel" as white text. Obviously,
this requires that the text doesn't occlude part of the original page image -
a concern, because I hope to automate this process (not require operator
placement of the label). Also, it's hard to see when you *want* to see it.
I solved this by applying a green background, which Word by default won't
print.

I've avoided creating a master document, because of advice at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm. But I imagine
if I could safely go this way, I could use document properties, bookmarks,
etc., to pick up the sub-book topic (is this so?). Anyway, I intend to heed
the advice of the MVPs on this unless persuaded otherwise. But also open to
other strategies.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Hidden text is exactly that - hidden! It is not seen by Styleref fields.
White text as you have discovered is a reasonable compromise, but it takes
up space.. You can always format the white style to 1 point, so that it
takes up very little room, but it will be difficult to find later (use the
Find function to find the style).

David Powell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As you've discovered, Hidden is the *only* font property that StyleRef
fields pick up (maddeningly). The way you're handling this may well be the
only practical way to do it.

http://word.mvps.org

HIDDEN TEXT Den New Users 7 January 4th 08 05:01 AM
Hidden Text Keith J. Microsoft Word Help 3 September 25th 07 01:03 AM
Hidden text SusanC Microsoft Word Help 5 October 5th 05 03:57 PM
tc field codes, hidden text, takes up space even when hidden DJEB Microsoft Word Help 3 July 14th 05 12:39 PM
Text hidden Whistlepig Microsoft Word Help 4 May 18th 05 03:16 PM