Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tootle Tootle is offline

Default text box on bottom disappears in template when text added

I made a template of a letterhead with a text box at the bottom with the
business address but when I type a letter in the body, the text box
disappears completely from the page. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

I suspect the problem is with how the textbox is anchored and what the text
wrapping settings are. Most likely, the textbox is anchored to a specific
paragraph and (possibly) set to use an 'In line with text' wrapping style.
When you add content to your document, this pushes the anchoring paragraph
down and moves the textbox off the page. Because there's no second page, the
textbox seems to disappear, but in reality it's just moved to a place where
it's no longer visible.

You could layout the textbox to float in front of the text and be positioned
relative to the page or anchor it to a paragraph that you're sure isn't
going to move when you add content to the document, but this can be fiddly
and I find it's usually more work than it's worth. An easier approach might
be to set up the document with a different first page footer and put the
textbox into the footer for the first page. That way the textbox will stay
anchored - because additions to the body of the document won't affect the
content of the footer - and will only appear on the first page - because
Word will automatically use a different footer for the second and subsequent
pages within the section.

In addition, on a letter where the first page is usually not numbered, this
approach makes it easier to control the page numbering. Just insert a page
break into your template, edit the second page footer to add the page
number, and then delete the page break again. If your letter goes over one
page, then the footer with the page number in it will automatically be
displayed on the second and subsequent pages.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

"Tootle" wrote in message
I made a template of a letterhead with a text box at the bottom with the
business address but when I type a letter in the body, the text box
disappears completely from the page. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Moreover, if the text itself is placed in the footer, it will probably be
possible to do away with the text box entirely.

http://word.mvps.org