Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p p is offline

Default Paragraph Break: change DEFAULT to "Shift+Enter"

Is there any way to get Word to use the single-line paragraph break
("Shift++Enter" / soft break) as the DEFAULT?

Sometimes when I paste text from Word into an email message, it looks ok,
but when received, all the hard breaks ("Enter") have wide line spaces after
the paragraph.

or
Is there any way to prevent that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:03:01 -0700, P
wrote:

Is there any way to get Word to use the single-line paragraph break
("Shift++Enter" / soft break) as the DEFAULT?

Sometimes when I paste text from Word into an email message, it looks ok,
but when received, all the hard breaks ("Enter") have wide line spaces after
the paragraph.

or
Is there any way to prevent that?

To solve the problem the right way, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CleanWebText.htm.

To answer your question directly, no, there's no way to use
Shift+Enter as a "default" for anything. The Shift+Enter is *not* a
"single-line paragraph break", it's a manual line break with a
distinctly different function from the paragraph break in Word.

If you want to keep the line endings as they are, but eliminate the
space after them, you can do either of two things after pasting into
Word:

- Use the Replace dialog to replace paragraph marks with line breaks.
Put the code ^p in the Find What box, put the code ^l (a lower-case
ell) in the Replace With box, and click Replace All.

- Modify the style of the text to set the Space After in the paragraph
formatting to zero.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p p is offline

Default Paragraph Break: change DEFAULT to "Shift+Enter" Thanks

Many thanks for that.
I think
"Put the code ^p in the Find What box, put the code ^l (a lower-case ell) in
the Replace With box, and click Replace All"
will solve the problem...but what a nuisance !

And, yes, I have the Space After Paragraph set to zero (in Word) yet the
text and table which I received from someone else (in a Word document) added
the spaces.

Thanks again

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Robert is offline

You could try this:

Select the lines in the email message, then apply the ´Normalˇ style to
them even if they already seem to be formatted in that way.
HTH.
--
Cheers
Robert

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:03:01 -0700, P wrote:

Is there any way to get Word to use the single-line paragraph break
("Shift++Enter" / soft break) as the DEFAULT?

Sometimes when I paste text from Word into an email message, it looks ok,
but when received, all the hard breaks ("Enter") have wide line spaces

after
the paragraph.

or
Is there any way to prevent that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p p is offline

That would do it, I'm sure, but it would also wipe out any font formatting.

"Robert" wrote:

You could try this:

Select the lines in the email message, then apply the €śNormal€ť style to