Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
luvnrocs luvnrocs is offline

Default Turn off "Highlight Merge Fields" by default

Is there a way to NOT have the "Highlight Merge Fields" button engaged
when opening a document? It seems that by default in Office 2007, it
is engaged and when we use the Finish & Merge, and then click Print
Documents the fields printout highlighted. If we use Finish & Merge,
and then click Edit Individual Documents and then print we don't get
the highlighted on the printout.

I know there are simple ways to get around this, like using "Edit
Individual Documents" instead of printing directly, or making sure to
turn off the "Highlight Merge Fields" button, but I've got staff who
are all concerned with minimizing the amount of keystrokes or mouse
clicks that they need to make.

Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi luvnrocs,

You can prevent the shading of mergefields via the 'Highlight Merge Fields' button by embedding the fields concerned in a QUOTE
field. To do this, select the mergefield, press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces around it (eg { «MyData» }) and edit the
field so that you end up with {QUOTE«MyData»}. Once this is done, the shading options are controlled via the settings under Word
Options|Advanced Show Document Content Field Shading.

Note also that, if you set the Word Options|Advanced Show Document Content Field Shading option to 'Always', you can't turn off
the mergefield shading via the 'Highlight Merge Fields' button.

--
Cheers
macropod