Kate

Default How to make subheads italic, but not italic in TOC?

I have a Word doc in which some subheads must be italic, but I don't want
them to be italic in the TOC. How do I make them different? Thanks!
Deborah

If you're generating a TOC based on styles the headings in italics in the
body of your document should not be italicized in the TOC.

"Kate" wrote:

I have a Word doc in which some subheads must be italic, but I don't want
them to be italic in the TOC. How do I make them different? Thanks!

You must include the italic formatting as part of the heading style. If it
is applied as direct formatting, it will show up in the TOC.

"Kate" wrote in message
I have a Word doc in which some subheads must be italic, but I don't want
them to be italic in the TOC. How do I make them different? Thanks!

Kate

OK, I created a new style called Level 2 Subhead that's based on Normal plus
italic, double-spaced. I manually removed the italic from the first few
subheads, and then, in the Style formatting pane, I selected each subhead and
clicked Clear Formatting, and then clicked Level 2 Subhead. I did this for a
few TOC entries, and then updated the entire TOC and looked at it in Print
Preview, but the entries that I designated Level 2 Subhead still show up
italic. Do you have any more suggestions? Thank you!

"Kate" wrote in message
I have a Word doc in which some subheads must be italic, but I don't want
them to be italic in the TOC. How do I make them different? Thanks!

TOC styles are set to update automatically, though I find this is more
dependable for paragraph than for character styles; still, I wonder if the
TOC style could have picked up the italics. If you have done everything just
as you describe it, including updating the entire TOC, then I can't explain
what you're seeing.

BTW, is there some reason you're not just using Heading 2 for your Level 2
subheads?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must include the italic formatting as part of the heading style. If

it
is applied as direct formatting, it will show up in the TOC.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.