AlanPharmaResearch

Default Word files accidently changed to .doc files

I have somehow changed my settings accidently. All of my Word files have
converted to .doc files. How can I change them back to normal Word files w/o
the .doc on the end ?
Respond to
Thank you for any help.
--
Alan
Pat Garard

Alan!
Please do not post in more than one Group!!
This has been answered in another Group.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"AlanPharmaResearch" wrote in
message ...
I have somehow changed my settings accidently. All of my Word files have
converted to .doc files. How can I change them back to normal Word files
w/o
the .doc on the end ?
Respond to
Thank you for any help.
--
Alan

Chuck Davis

"Sunny" wrote in message
[...]

When there are thousands of folks looking to help, there are thousands that
must look at crosspostings. It's just not nice.

If the message had been cross-posted, there would have been no issue; you'd
have been able to see it in any NG. That's why we discourage multi-posting.
And in this case the question was posted to three or four NGs (not to
mention emailed to me, and I foolishly answered it--at some length--before
coming to the NGs to find it asked repeatedly here, making me wish I'd just
quoted my sig).

In any case, the "problem" of Word documents becoming .doc files is a
non-issue.

"Sunny" wrote in message
[...]

Bernard Liengme

For those who wanted to know
This is how to do it in WinXP (might be different in other version);
MyComputer-Tools-Folder Options-View tab-Advanced Settings area-click
the box "Hide extensions for known file types"
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"AlanPharmaResearch" wrote in
message ...
I have somehow changed my settings accidently. All of my Word files have
converted to .doc files. How can I change them back to normal Word files
w/o
the .doc on the end ?
Respond to
Thank you for any help.
--
Alan

Stan Brown

"Sunny" wrote in microsoft.public.word.newusers:
Pity I won't see a solution, if it's only answered in "another Group"
(surely a couple of "crossposted" groups is not the end of the World?)

Crossposting would be okay (asuming the other group is relevant).
But what the OP die was not crossposting, it was multiposting, and
that's very far from okay.

(The answer, since you ask, is nothing to do with Word. It's a
setting in Tolols - Folder Options in Windows Explorer.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Well, FWIW, here's the answer I (foolishly) sent to the OP in response to
his direct email (which posed both of the questions he's posted in these
NGs; if I'd realized he'd spammed the NGs with questions, I would just have
quoted my sig to him):

But .doc files *are* Word files! You're probably just not used to seeing the
file extension. This is a Windows setting: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools
| Folder Options | View and check the box for "Hide file extensions for
known file types." If it's already checked, then possibly Windows has lost
track of the fact that Word "owns" .doc files. You can restore the file
association by "reregistering" Word (reestablishing its "ownership" of the
..doc and .dot file types in the Windows Registry). To do this, select Run
from the Start menu; then type

winword /r

and press Enter. Note that there is a space before the forward slash.

We generally recommend, however, that you display file types. This protects
you from malicious attachments masquerading as innocent file types and makes
it easier to deal with files in Explorer windows.

For your menu problems, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissngMenusEtc.htm

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Stan Brown shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

"Sunny" wrote in microsoft.public.word.newusers:
Pity I won't see a solution, if it's only answered in "another
Group" (surely a couple of "crossposted" groups is not the end of
the World?)

Crossposting would be okay (asuming the other group is relevant).
But what the OP die was not crossposting, it was multiposting, and
that's very far from okay.

(The answer, since you ask, is nothing to do with Word. It's a
setting in Tolols - Folder Options in Windows Explorer.)

I know the answer, but I would like to know how it was formulated.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html

Steve Hayes

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:15:02 -0700, AlanPharmaResearch
wrote:

I have somehow changed my settings accidently. All of my Word files have
converted to .doc files. How can I change them back to normal Word files w/o
the .doc on the end ?

Word files normally do have .doc on the end, tough a lot of Ascii text files
also use .doc at the end, especially if it is software documentation.

Do you mean that your Word files have been converted into Ascii text?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm