oe

Default macro start up

Help!

I have just switched to Windows XP/Word 2003 on a new PC.

I had a "send to xxx.dot" on Word 2000 which I had put in the Word start up
folder and had as an addition in Templates/Add-ins.

It enabled me to press File/Send to... and copy the file to another folder.

I have copied this macro over to my new PC and it shows up where I expected.

Unfortunately, when I try to run it, I get the 'helpful' macro security help
file or "Copy failed, command failed".

Also, I cannot run the macros under Tools | Macro | Macros ... although I
can see them in the macro box. I just get "The macros in this project are
disabled."

I have tried so many help files that I'm getting dizzy!

I would really appreciate any help.

TIA

hkbs

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Oe,

In to Tools/Macro/Security and setting macro security to "middle" would help.

But your question is that the template should be automatically trusted, right?

First, check and make sure that you've put the template in the WORD Startup
folder, and not the Office one. The former is "trusted" the latter is not.

And then check in Tools/Macro/Security that the checkbox to enable installed
templates and addins is activated.

If all that doesn't help, check the path settings in Tools/Options/File
locations with the paths to the "trusted" folders you've used and make sure
they match.

I have just switched to Windows XP/Word 2003 on a new PC.

I had a "send to xxx.dot" on Word 2000 which I had put in the Word start up
folder and had as an addition in Templates/Add-ins.

It enabled me to press File/Send to... and copy the file to another folder.

I have copied this macro over to my new PC and it shows up where I expected.

Unfortunately, when I try to run it, I get the 'helpful' macro security help
file or "Copy failed, command failed".

Also, I cannot run the macros under Tools | Macro | Macros ... although I
can see them in the macro box. I just get "The macros in this project are
disabled."

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

oe

Hi Cindy

Thanks for your reply. I still don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have
followed your instructions - the Send to.dot and macro.dot are in the Word
startup file and Security is set to medium.

When I try to step into the listed macros, I get the message "Project is
unviewable".

I have checked everything against my other PC which is running Windows
90/Word 2000 and that's fine!

Any more ideas - or am I missing something completely?!

hkbs

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

oe

Hi again Cindy

I have just noticed something else but don't know if it's relevant.

If I actually open the Sendto.dot, I can run Tools|Macro|Macros and if I
press Run, I can get into the macro and see that it's OK.

However, if I just load Word with the Sendto.dot in the Tools|Templates and
Add-ins, I get the message as before (Project is locked/unviewable)

hkbs

"oe" wrote in message
[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Oe,

When I try to step into the listed macros, I get the message "Project is
unviewable".

Ah, well, you didn't mention you were trying to step into the macro code.
You have to have the *.dot file open in order to do that. You indeed may
not VIEW the code of an Addin loaded from the Startup folder in the VB
Editor.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

oe

Hi Cindy

I seem to be getting very lost! If I explain precisely what I'm trying to
do, maybe you will be able to help.

Way back in 2002, I asked some questions on this group and someone called
Tonya Marshall wrote up a macro for me to do the following in Word 2000:

On my desktop, I have a folder called "MG" for one of my clients.
I would type the documents, save them and then on the toolbar I pressed File
|Send to and the document would be sent to the MG folder on the desktop.
When I had a few of these documents, I would email them to my client.

I had used Tools | Customize to put the 'Send to MG' macro on the File
toolbar and the Send to.dot was in the Word startup folder.

I have now copied the macro to my new PC which has Windows XP and Word 2003.

The only difference I can see is that the MG folder's path has changed from
C:\Windows\Desktop\MG to C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Desktop.

I have tried many things but can't get it to work. Could you please help or
direct me to where I can get help, please.

Many thanks
hkbs

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Oe,

When I try to step into the listed macros, I get the message "Project is
unviewable".

Ah, well, you didn't mention you were trying to step into the macro code.
You have to have the *.dot file open in order to do that. You indeed may
not VIEW the code of an Addin loaded from the Startup folder in the VB
Editor.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Jay Freedman

Hi oe,

Here are the steps you need:

1. In Word, click File | Open. Use the folder dropdown at the top of the
dialog and the folder icons in the display area to navigate to the Word
Startup folder (probably C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP). Set the "Files of type" dropdown to either
"Word template (*.dot)" or "All files (*.*)". Select the Send to.dot file
and open it.

2. Press Alt+F11 or use Tools Macro Visual Basic Editor to start the
editor.

3. In the Project pane of the VBE, expand the Send to project, expand the
Modules icon under it, and double-click the module under that. The code of
the macro should now be visible on the right.

4. Change the path in the macro to the correct one.

5. Save, close the VBE, and exit from Word.

6. Restart Word. Try using the macro -- it should work now.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

oe wrote:
[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)