krb

Default Why does Word display "within margin" page width and lenght as 44.

For whatever reason, Word does not display the proper width or length of a
page. I checked all the settings I know of and asked everyone I know of.
The most frequent response I get is "Do you have it set to centimeters?" and
I don't. The unit of measure is set to inches. Besides, an 8.5 inch page
(counting margins) is not even 22 cm wide.

I am now also contending with the top and bottom margin of a page in print
view being hidden from view, while the right and left margins are displayed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office. This did not help. I'm
using Office 2003.

I'm fed up with trying to fix this problem. I can't properly place tabs or
use the rulers as a guide.

Help!
Jay Freedman

krb wrote:
For whatever reason, Word does not display the proper width or length
of a page. I checked all the settings I know of and asked everyone I
know of. The most frequent response I get is "Do you have it set to
centimeters?" and I don't. The unit of measure is set to inches.
Besides, an 8.5 inch page (counting margins) is not even 22 cm wide.

I am now also contending with the top and bottom margin of a page in
print view being hidden from view, while the right and left margins
are displayed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office. This did not help.
I'm using Office 2003.

I'm fed up with trying to fix this problem. I can't properly place
tabs or use the rulers as a guide.

Help!

The hidden top and bottoms margins are the most easily solved: go to Tools
Options View and check "White space between pages".

The measurement problem may be a variant of the "character units" fiasco.
Try http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm to see if that helps. If it
doesn't, then try renaming normal.dot and restarting Word, as described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm under the heading
"Creating a new Normal.dot from scratch".

In general, uninstalling and reinstalling Word or Office rarely fixes any of
the most common problems, because it doesn't remove and replace normal.dot
or add-ins, the causes of those problems.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

krb

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The measurement problem may be a variant of the "character units" fiasco.
Try http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm to see if that helps. If it
doesn't, then try renaming normal.dot and restarting Word, as described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm under the heading
"Creating a new Normal.dot from scratch".

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The first web site provided a fix for the strange page rulers.

I have asked numerous IT gurus and none of them have been able to answer
this question.