Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default ASP.NET - Excel - Mail Merge in Word causes "Data Link Properties" dialog to appear.

I'm not sure if this is a ASP.NET question, or a Microsoft Office
Question, so bear with me!

I have a ASP.NET application which generates excel files on the fly
(savable versions of searches). Everything seemed to be working great,
and we had the code deployed for over a year.

However, we recently ran into a problem with the generated .xls files,
when attempting to open the xls in Word to perform a mail merge. When
these generated spreadsheets are opened to perform the mail merge, it
displays a "Data Link Properties" window for our users. Other
spreadsheets generated outside of out application process do not have
this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

I have a ASP.NET application which generates excel files on the fly
(savable versions of searches). Everything seemed to be working great,
and we had the code deployed for over a year.

However, we recently ran into a problem with the generated .xls files,
when attempting to open the xls in Word to perform a mail merge. When
these generated spreadsheets are opened to perform the mail merge, it
displays a "Data Link Properties" window for our users. Other
spreadsheets generated outside of out application process do not have
this problem.

Are you generating these as XML files, or by automating Excel? Which
version(s) of Word and Excel are involved?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org