Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Using odd page bread to start a new chapter on an odd page

Hi. Okay. I have been battling agains Word 2003 for some time now
with this formatting thing. I have read a lot of newsgroup posts here
that all leade to this page
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm) on how to
do an odd page break and be able to put header and footer information
on that even, blank page that gets inserted.

I have used the code from that page
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm) and it
worked in the beginning of my document when I went from the table of
contents to chapter 1. But as soon as I got done with chapter 1 and
inserted another one of these special codes for the start of chapter 2,
the first one (after the table of contents) wasn't working anymore.
What I mean by that is the TOC ended on page 6, but the the code went
ahead and inserted a blank page (page 7) with my header and footer on
it, and then one of those MS Word, autogenerated blank pages got
inserted for page 8, and then my chapter 1 started on page 9.

I don't know why after entering this suggested code a second time in
the document caused the first one to start behaving incorrectly. Any
ideas? I'd appreciate any help because this is driving me absolutely
nuts! Thanks!

Ryan Cabanas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

I did what you said, but the field is still throwing an extra page,
even though the field is landing on an even page number. So since it's
an even page, it shouldn't be throwing a blank page, right?

Could the problem be with the fact that I'm using this field right
after a TOC and because when looking at the document using field codes
view the field lands on an odd page, but in the normal view, when the
TOC is populated, it lands on an even page? You know what I mean?
Could that be it? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are Next Page,
not Odd Page.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Working around a TOC is always touchy. It is very easy to get page breaks,
paragraph breaks, and pretty much anything else inside the TOC field code
(where it is deleted the next time you update the TOC). Make very sure that
you're in a separate paragraph from the TOC (with an empty paragraph in
between for good measure) when you insert the field, be sure to update
fields when printing, don't print with field codes displayed, etc.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are Next

Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

Yes. I made sure that my field was outside the TOC field brackets. I
have it butted right up against the end bracket of the TOC field just
to make sure that it was registering the proper page when deciding to
add a blank page, or not, but it is definitely outside of the TOC's end
bracket, but I still have this problem. Any other suggestions?

I also noticed that the example code on the web page was a little
different from the actual field code in the example word file that you
could download. The downloadable Word file had more spaces in places,
so I added those to my own field code for this, but unfortunately it
did not help.

Ryan Cabanas

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are Next

Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

Here is my code.

{·TOC·\h·\z·\t·"Yunique·-·Arial·24·
(Header),1,Yunique·-·Arial·16·
(Header),3,Yunique·-·Arial·20·(Header),2"·}¶

{·IF·{·=MOD(·{·PAGE·},2)·}·=·0·"·"·"¶
[PAGE BREAK]
"·}[SECTION BREAK (ODD PAGE)]

I've tried slight variations, but none have made a difference. Any
suggestions? Thanks Suzanne!

Ryan Cabanas

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Please post here the text of the field you're using.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroupso
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are Next
Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you will need to remove the Odd Page section break.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Please post here the text of the field you're using.

so
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are

Next
Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

I went ahead and removed all of the [Odd Page] breaks from my document
and then put them back in and it seems to work fine now. I always have
my codes revealed and all of that, so I don't know what was hidden
and/or sneaking in there, but there was something. I'll let you know
how it behaves...see if it's stable. Thanks for your help Suzanne!

Ryan Cabanas

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are

Next
Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne,

Okay. I found out what the problem is and it's a bug in Word, I
believe.

As soon as I fixed up all my pages again with the correct headers and
footers, I found that the problem came back again. Here's the problem.

For the title page and TOC pages, all the way up to chapter 1, I use
roman numerals for page numbers and then start the chapters using
normal numbering. If I use Roman numerals, the page break field trick
freaks out and starts putting a page break when on an even page. It
doesn't work properly. But if I change the page numbering to the
normal number and update all the fields again, it corrects itself. So
this seems to be a bug with Word and what kind of page numbering I use.

Thanks for the help, though! I appreciate it. I guess I'll just have
to use normal numbering for now.

Ryan Cabanas

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are

Next
Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

I was wondering if you've ever heard of this bug? I couldn't find
reference to it anywhere else. Are you able to verify the same thing?
My TOC was ending on page vi, then the field was throwing a blank page
(page vii), then came the unwanted auto-generated blank invisible page
(page viii), and then the odd page break was giving its page to start
the new chapter (page 9).

Can you duplicate this? Thanks!

Ryan Cabanas

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are

Next
Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's possible the field can't handle roman numerals.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Please post here the text of the field you're using.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
When you use this field, make sure that your section breaks are

Next
Page,
not Odd Page.

newsgroup so