Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Deleting words from the custom dictionary in word 2003

I'm using Office 2003 - I mistakenly wrote "socirty" in a doc
and right-clicked and selected "Add to dictionary". On the site:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/EditCustomDic.htm the instructions
given to remove the custom entry does not work for me. I cannot find
this word in the Tools | Options | Spelling and Grammar | Custom
Dictionaries option.

"
How to edit your Custom Spelling Dictionary
Or how to remove or amend a misspelled word from your custom dictionary
after inadvertently pressing the "Add" button while running the
spell checker
Article contributed by Suzanne Barnhill
Go to Tools | Options | Spelling and Grammar and click the
"Dictionaries..." button. Chances are you have only one user
dictionary, CUSTOM.DIC, which will already be selected. Click on the
Edit button, which will open the dictionary file as a text file. Find
the word you inadvertently added and delete or correct it, then press
Ctrl+S to save the file, and close it.
"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

I believe the article you refer to may have been written prior to Word 2003.
When you get to the Custom Dictionaries dialog you should find the
Custom.Dic listed, but the button you need is labeled Modify, *not* Edit.
That will produce a list of entries in the custom dictionary - select the
one you want to remove & click the Delete button. There's also no need to
"Save", as you will not have opened a text file... just OK out of the
dialogs.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones