Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennae jennae is offline

Default comment balloons

I'm working in Word 2003. My students send me their papers to correct. Some
papers come to me and I am able to insert comments where when one puts the
cursor over the highlighted text a balloon pops up with my comments in it.
This I like.

However, some papers show my comments where the balloons remain visible on
the right side of the paper and a dashed line tracks the comments to the
relevant text. I don't want this. I want a popup balloon to appear when the
cursor is placed over the commented (highlighted) text.

Help! I've tried the suggestions posted by garfield-n-odie, but it has not
corrected the problem.

I would be so grateful to anyone who can correct this dilemma.

jennae
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not sure what suggestions you are referring to. In Word 2003,
click on Tools | Options | Track Changes tab | Use balloons
(Print and Web Layout): Never | OK.

As explained in Word help, if you hide balloons (Never option),
both insertions and deletions will be shown in the body of the
document, and comments will be displayed in ToolTips. Formatting
changes will be visible when you view your document in Final or
Final Showing Markup mode.

jennae wrote:
I'm working in Word 2003. My students send me their papers to correct. Some
papers come to me and I am able to insert comments where when one puts the
cursor over the highlighted text a balloon pops up with my comments in it.
This I like.

However, some papers show my comments where the balloons remain visible on
the right side of the paper and a dashed line tracks the comments to the
relevant text. I don't want this. I want a popup balloon to appear when the
cursor is placed over the commented (highlighted) text.

Help! I've tried the suggestions posted by garfield-n-odie, but it has not
corrected the problem.

I would be so grateful to anyone who can correct this dilemma.

jennae

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennae jennae is offline

Thank you for your quick response. I made the changes on the Track Changes
tab. This brought me to a familiar view....highlighted text with comment
markers [ja1], [ja2]....visible. However, when I place my cursor over the
text, no balloon pops up with my comments.

You stated, "As explained in Word help, if you hide balloons (Never option),
both insertions and deletions will be shown in the body of the document." I
think this is what I am seeing.

But, I have not been able to locate the "ToolTips" function as you stated:
"and comments will be displayed in ToolTips." I sought out ToolTips with the
Help function and it was not giving me what I sought.

Regarding your comment: "Formatting changes will be visible when you view
your document in Final or Final Showing Markup mode", I only see "Markup" on
the View pull down menu and it seems to be a turn off or on function. I was
not able to locate "Final" or "Final Showing Markup".

I apologize for being dense and do appreciate your help.

Regards,

jennae

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To enable ToolTips, click on Tools | Options | View tab | check
the "ScreenTips" box | OK. You can select "Final Showing Markup"
view from the Reviewing toolbar, which you can display by
clicking on View | Toolbars | Reviewing.

jennae wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what g-n-o has said, the difference in what you see in varying
documents may depend on the view in which the students saved them. In Normal
view, you will never see balloons, always see corrections inline (whether
balloons are enabled or not), and will see ScreenTips if they are enabled.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...