Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diddakoi Diddakoi is offline

Default Page numbering in a document with 4 sections

I'm about ready to strangle my document!

I'm using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I have a 19-page document with four
sections (each divided by Section Break, Next Page -- due to page
orientation). Page numbering for the first two and last sections are working
fine. In the second section (pages 5-10), only pages 5, 7 and 10 will show
their page numbers. Between pages 5 and 10, each individual page is broken
by a regular page break.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Any suggestion much
appreciated!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you have either "Different first page" or "Different odd and even"
checked on the Layout tab of Page Setup? When you View | Header and Footer
and use Show Next to progress through the headers/footers, do you find any
that are empty?

"Diddakoi" wrote in message
I'm about ready to strangle my document!

I'm using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I have a 19-page document with four
sections (each divided by Section Break, Next Page -- due to page
orientation). Page numbering for the first two and last sections are

working
fine. In the second section (pages 5-10), only pages 5, 7 and 10 will

show
their page numbers. Between pages 5 and 10, each individual page is

broken
by a regular page break.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Any suggestion

much
appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diddakoi Diddakoi is offline

On page 1 (single-page section), "different first page" was checked. This
would seem to be OK, as I don't want the number to show on the first page.
Page two shows number "1" as its footer, which I want. "Different first
page" is not checked on this page, nor any other page in the document.

When I use Show Next to progress through the headers/footers, it brings me
to the footer that is the beginning of each section, rather than each
individual footer. However, when I manually check each individual footer,
the same pages mentioned previously still do not show page numbers.

One item of note: as I use the down arrow key to scroll through each page,
on the pages where the numbers are missing, I would see them flash briefly,
but then they would be gone. When I check Show/Hide nothing is there.

Any ideas?

Tammy

"Diddakoi" wrote in message
I'm about ready to strangle my document!

I'm using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I have a 19-page document with four
sections (each divided by Section Break, Next Page -- due to page
orientation). Page numbering for the first two and last sections are

working
fine. In the second section (pages 5-10), only pages 5, 7 and 10 will

show
their page numbers. Between pages 5 and 10, each individual page is

broken
by a regular page break.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Any suggestion

much
appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm wondering if there's some invisible text box or other drawing object on
pages 6, 8, and 9 that has wandered into the area where the numbers are and
is in front of them (this technique is sometimes used on purpose as
"electronic whiteout"). This might be easier to troubleshoot if you display
text boundaries (Tools | Options | View). If you like, send me the document,
and I'll take a look.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have either "Different first page" or "Different odd and even"
checked on the Layout tab of Page Setup? When you View | Header and

Footer
and use Show Next to progress through the headers/footers, do you find

any
that are empty?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Diddakoi" wrote in message
I'm about ready to strangle my document!

I'm using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I have a 19-page document with

four
sections (each divided by Section Break, Next Page -- due to page
orientation). Page numbering for the first two and last sections are

working
fine. In the second section (pages 5-10), only pages 5, 7 and 10 will

show
their page numbers. Between pages 5 and 10, each individual page is

broken
by a regular page break.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Any suggestion

much
appreciated!

Thanks!

Page number restart Laura79 Microsoft Word Help 4 June 21st 06 05:53 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
Hebrew Suggestions Dannyza Microsoft Word Help 2 November 21st 05 06:12 AM
word numbering in page break sections Peter McCaul Microsoft Word Help 4 October 4th 05 07:46 AM
Start at: page numbering not working Blaise Page Layout 3 July 9th 05 06:09 PM