Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindi B Cindi B is offline

Default memos

Windows 2003

How can I keep the date from changing when I open a previously-saved memo?
Right now, when I open a memo I've sent someone, the date of the memo (when I
created it) automatically changes to the current date. For example, today I
opened a memo I had created on 9/13/06 and the date automatically changed to
today's date. I had to go into Properties to see when I created it so I
could tell my supervisor the date I had sent it. Quite awhile back, our
former Systems Analyst told me of a way to set Word to keep the original
date, but I didn't write it down and our software has been updated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Cindi

Cindi B wrote:
How can I keep the date from changing when I open a previously-saved memo?
Right now, when I open a memo I've sent someone, the date of the memo (when I
created it) automatically changes to the current date. For example, today I
opened a memo I had created on 9/13/06 and the date automatically changed to
today's date. I had to go into Properties to see when I created it so I
could tell my supervisor the date I had sent it. Quite awhile back, our
former Systems Analyst told me of a way to set Word to keep the original
date, but I didn't write it down and our software has been updated.

the way is to use a different field than DATE; Word also knows
CREATEDATE, PRINTDATE, SAVEDATE (I suggest you look up these fields in
Word's offline-Help).

Otherwise, don't insert the date as a field, but as mere text (this is
possible from the Insert | Date dialog).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cardlaw Cardlaw is offline

I use SAVEDATE, so that the doc will show the date it was finalized
whenever it was reopened.

--
Cardlaw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The problem with a SAVEDATE field is that, if you print the document, all
the fields in it will be updated (not necessarily changed, but "updated"),
and Word records "Update Fields" as a change, so you'll be prompted to save
when you close the document. If you reflexively answer yes, then the
SAVEDATE is changed.