Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Default Document map and hidden text

One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me to
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Robert

As far as I know, there is no way for text that is hidden to appear in the
Document Map.

Bear in mind, too, that whether hidden text is displayed or printed is up to
the user, not the creator of the file. I display hidden text all the time.
If anyone sends me a document with hidden text, I'll see it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Robert McN" wrote in message
news
One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font
is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Hi Shauna,
Thanks for your reply. It is possible that you have given the definitive
answer to my question, but I hope not. I've been using MS Word for many
years and fully appreciate that hidden text is visible in electronic versions
of a document. But the purpose of the document map is to help me to
efficiently navigate documents as I create them. I would like to be able to
place a heading that I could see in the document map as a way of helping me
organize the materials I've covered while I'm writing my document, but that
won't be visible with the printed document is printed. Maybe it isn't
possible, but if not I think this is a flaw in the program, because there is
no reason why the document map shouldn't be able to show you what you want
provided it is a proper heading. If hidden text is an option for a heading
in the body of the text, why not in the Document Map? I had hoped there would
be some way of "turning on this feature," but I can't find it. If you or any
of your colleagues have suggestions for creating a solution, that would be
great. In any case, thank you very much for your reply.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi Robert

As far as I know, there is no way for text that is hidden to appear in the
Document Map.

Bear in mind, too, that whether hidden text is displayed or printed is up to
the user, not the creator of the file. I display hidden text all the time.
If anyone sends me a document with hidden text, I'll see it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Robert McN" wrote in message
news
One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font
is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Robert

Robert McN wrote:
Thanks for your reply. It is possible that you have given the definitive
answer to my question, but I hope not. I've been using MS Word for many
years and fully appreciate that hidden text is visible in electronic versions
of a document.

You toggle the view of hidden text in the document, yes. But the
Document Map is not really part of the document (it's a special View on
parts of it).

FWIW, I'm sitting in front of Word 2000 at the moment, and there, I see
both hidden and non-hidden headings in the Document map (and it does not
seem to matter whether hidden text is displayed or not in the document
itself.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Maybe use Outline View instead? It gives you much more than document map.
Especially if you get used to the keystrokes for switching between views
(Alt+Ctrl+O / N / P).

Regards,
Klaus

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi Robert

Robert McN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since organizing my thoughts and distributing them are two very different
things, I normally have a little pre-print cleanup process on every doc.
For instance, I prefer to compose single-space, but print out double-space.

Anyhow, my point is that you can easily achieve the functionality you want
by waiting until just before printing/sending to add the "hidden" attribute
to heading 4. You could even use two macros that add and remove hidden in
one-click, to do this easily over and over again.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi Robert

As far as I know, there is no way for text that is hidden to appear in the
Document Map.

Bear in mind, too, that whether hidden text is displayed or printed is up to
the user, not the creator of the file. I display hidden text all the time.
If anyone sends me a document with hidden text, I'll see it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Robert McN" wrote in message
news
One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font
is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Hi Robert,
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure why we have different experiences
with the document map. I use it all the time, but if I change the style of
say Heading 4 so that it is written with hidden text, then it immediately
disappears from the document map. I have recently figured a
semi-work-around, which is to go into Tools/Options and click on "Show hidden
text." This seems to defeat the purpose though, because all hidden text will
be printed. In any case, it's a little progress. Still I'm perplexed why
you can see hidden text in the document map, and I cannot.
Bob

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Robert

Robert McN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Robert,

Actually, there is a Tools | Options | View setting to show hidden text, and
a separate Tools | Options | Print setting to print hidden text. You can
view it without printing it.

I think it would be very odd if the Document Map showed you headings that
you could not see in the doc itself.

On 10/23/06 5:24 AM, "Robert McN" wrote:

Hi Robert,
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure why we have different experiences
with the document map. I use it all the time, but if I change the style of
say Heading 4 so that it is written with hidden text, then it immediately
disappears from the document map. I have recently figured a
semi-work-around, which is to go into Tools/Options and click on "Show hidden
text." This seems to defeat the purpose though, because all hidden text will
be printed. In any case, it's a little progress. Still I'm perplexed why
you can see hidden text in the document map, and I cannot.
Bob

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Robert

Robert McN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Thanks for both of your comments. I think we have hit upon a solution to my
concern. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Bob McNulty

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Robert

Robert McN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lcapino lcapino is offline

Robert,
I would also like to know how this is done.

Did you ever get a sufficient answer because even using Daiya's advice, the
hidden text is still not displayed in the Display Map.

"Robert McN" wrote:

One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me to
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Wow - where did you find this?

Any way - AFAIK there is no way to display hidden text in the Doc Map unless
something could be done programmatically...and I'm not sure that would be a
good idea. Doc Map has been reported by some to be rather unstable.

Have you tried working with Outline View? As long as you have non-printing
characters displayed (¶) hidden text *does* show up there. Also, I don't
understand what the OP meant by saying the Doc Map "helps me to clearly
organize" as it is merely a navigation tool. Outline View is far more robust
for physically organizing & reorganizing as well as navigating.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/4/07 10:50 PM, in article
, "lcapino"

"Robert McN" wrote:

One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me to
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lcapino lcapino is offline

Thank you for your reply.

I did find a way for it to work. Daiya was right. It does work.

The reason DISPLAY MAP is easier to work with rather than OUTLINE VIEW is
because the DISPLAY MAP pane sits on the left of my 400 page document and
it's easy to scroll up and down through the document rather than continually
having to switch from Normal View to OUTLINE VIEW then having to continually
expand and collapse my document to work with it then returning to Normal View.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my message.
Linda

"Robert McN" wrote:

One of my favorite features in MS Word is the Document Map, as it helps me to
clearly organize what could be complex documents. I would like to have one
level of Heading that uses hidden text, as a way of keeping track on the
ideas that I'm including in the text, but not for my readers to see.
Unfortunately, if I format the heading (say, Heading 4) so that the font is
"hidden text," then the heading no longer appears in the Document Map. Is
there any way to have a heading that is in hidden text but shows up in the
Document Map?
Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

This may be so old no one cares, but I'm new and will use this to test how to
reply.
If you want to make notes to yourself that won't print, I would not use
Headers, I'd turn on the toolbarreview and use 'comments'. You can then
check the display box (left of that toolbar) to show final not final markup,
and your comments are now hidden. Printing it will be clean. You can then
use that review arrow to cycle through your comments, or view them all at the
bottom of the screen in comments pane.
--
~~ B.

"lcapino" wrote:

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Glad you found a solution that works for you, but just for additional
insights - not trying you convince you one way or another:-)...

snip
On 8/5/07 12:50 PM, in article
, "lcapino"
wrote:

rather than continually
having to switch from Normal View to OUTLINE VIEW then having to continually
expand and collapse my document to work with it then returning to Normal View.

snip

This is totally unnecessary You need not return to Normal [or any other]
view to edit the doc, and you can expand only the portion you need to edit.
I've found it much faster to expand & collapse *portions* of the doc than to
have to jump or scroll from one part to another. Reorganization is also
facilitated because you can grab one topic, drag it to another location, and
all sub-topics & body text within it go right along without having to select
what could amount to an entire chapter or more.

Again, I'm not advocating that the use of one feature is inherently "better
than" or mutually exclusive of the other, just that both are worthy of
consideration & have their respective advantages.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac