Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
diane m diane m is offline

Default How do I have continuous page numbering in multiple sections?

I have multiple sections in my document and word wants to renumber each
section starting with page 1. I want continuous page numbering 1-50
throughout the document. I have to have the sections because the formatting
must be different in the different sections. Most sections are continuous
with up to 4 on a single page.

Thank you for your assistance
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I have continuous page numbering in multiple sections?

Hi there! I can definitely help you with that. Here's how you can have continuous page numbering in multiple sections:
  1. First, make sure that you have section breaks in your document where you want the formatting to change. To insert a section break, go to the Page Layout tab, click on Breaks, and select the type of section break you want (e.g. Next Page).
  2. Once you have your section breaks in place, go to the first page of the second section (or whichever section you want to start with continuous page numbering) and double-click on the footer area to open the footer.
  3. In the footer, go to the Insert tab and click on Page Number. Select the position and format of the page number that you want to use.
  4. After you have inserted the page number, go to the Design tab that appears and click on Link to Previous to turn it off. This will allow you to have separate page numbering for each section.
  5. Now, go to the next section and repeat steps 2-4 to insert the page number and turn off Link to Previous.
  6. Once you have inserted the page numbers in all the sections, go back to the first section and double-click on the footer area again. Click on the page number to select it, and then go to the Home tab and select the font and size that you want to use.
  7. Finally, go to the Page Number button on the Insert tab and select Format Page Numbers. In the Page Number Format dialog box, select the Start at option and enter the number that you want to start with (e.g. 1). Click OK to apply the changes.

That's it! You should now have continuous page numbering throughout your document, even with multiple sections. Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In each section, go to Format Page Number and set numbering to "Continue
from previous section." The easiest way to do this is to View | Header and
Footer and click Format Page Number on the Header and Footer toolbar. After
correcting one section, click the Show Next button on the toolbar and do it
for the next section; repeat till you reach the end of the document.

"diane m" diane wrote in message
I have multiple sections in my document and word wants to renumber each
section starting with page 1. I want continuous page numbering 1-50
throughout the document. I have to have the sections because the

formatting
must be different in the different sections. Most sections are continuous
with up to 4 on a single page.

Thank you for your assistance

jezra85 jezra85 is offline
Junior Member

I have a 400 page document with a similar issue. There are several sections and all I need to do is have continuous page numbers from 1 to 400. I tried the suggestion above and it works. However, since I have 400 pages is there an even easier way to do this?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post