Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tecknomage Tecknomage is offline

Default Word TOC - One Level of Outline Style, How

OK, I have a Word doc using the Outline Style 1., 1.1., 2., 2.1, 2.2, 3.,
3.1, etc.

When I create a TOC using Insert Reference, and setting the Outline Style as
the only TOC Level 1, the actual TOC includes all levels of the outline.

I want the TOC to list ONLY the 1., 2., 3. etc.; the fist level of the
Outline Style.

All the help on this topic are no help at all. At least that I can find.

How do I get the TOC to display only what I want?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The answer is probably here somewhe
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

I don't know what you mean by "setting the Outline Style as the only TOC
Level 1". Click on Options, and try setting the TOC to build *only*
from Heading 1, assuming Heading 1 is the top level of your outline
numbering.

Tecknomage wrote:
OK, I have a Word doc using the Outline Style 1., 1.1., 2., 2.1, 2.2, 3.,
3.1, etc.

When I create a TOC using Insert Reference, and setting the Outline Style as
the only TOC Level 1, the actual TOC includes all levels of the outline.

I want the TOC to list ONLY the 1., 2., 3. etc.; the fist level of the
Outline Style.

All the help on this topic are no help at all. At least that I can find.

How do I get the TOC to display only what I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are saying that you are using a single paragraph style for all
numbering levels, the result you are describing would be expected.
Instead, make sure to define the numbering as explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and then
apply the appropriate styles to text. Then update the table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP