Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dodane Dodane is offline

Default Different text styles on the same line

On the first page of each chapter I would like to include the following:

CHAPTER 1 (or 2, or 3€¦.) €“ in which CHAPTER would be one type of font and
size, black, and spaced, while €œ1€ would be a totally different font and
size, and would be white font on a black rectangular background.

Underneath, I would have a thin, horizontal line, then €“ underneath the
line, I would like to add the Chapter Title.
Then the content of the chapter follows, formatted in tables.

My question is: how is the correct way to format all the title bunch, using
tables, or not, using styles, €¦. or what ? I have not idea how I can use two
different styles for the CHAPTER and its number if they are on the same line.

Can I use kind of a numbering for the Chapters number, so when the
following chapter comes in the next section I would have Chapter 2
automatically numbered ?

Many thanks for any help !€¦€¦.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Since you're going to have two separate lines anyway, I would advise a
Chapter Number style followed by a Chapter Title style (either of which can
be Heading 1 if that's helpful). The former can have a bottom border or
underlining (whichever works best). You can then format the two styles
differently. Formatting the Chapter Number style is going to be more
difficult, however. You can apply font formatting to the style itself, and
you can also apply font formatting to the numbering (which can include
"CHAPTER"), but you can't apply two different types of font formatting to
CHAPTER and the number, so you may have to abandon the idea of autonumbering
(at least outline numbering).

You could use a SEQ field for the numbering, but if you need to pick up the
chapter numbering for any other purpose (to include in page numbering, table
and figure captions, subsequent heading levels, etc.), you'll need to have
outline numbering somewhere. Don't despair, however, as the numbering can
still be added to the chapter number or chapter title style: define the
"Number style" for the style (which will need to be Heading 1 if you want to
incorporate it in captions and such) as 1, 2, 3; set "Follow number with" to
"Nothing"; and then click Font and format the numbering as Hidden. The
number will not be displayed (unless you have Hidden text displayed) or
printed, but you can include it in lower-level headings, captions, page
numbers, etc.

So, to recap:

Chapter number: Use Heading 1 style; apply outline numbering, formatted as
Hidden. Use a SEQ field to provide the visible numbering. Define the font
formatting for the style as desired for CHAPTER and apply the font
formatting for the number as direct formatting. Apply other formatting
(underline, border) as desired.

Chapter title: Separate style, set as the "Style for following paragraph" of
the chapter number style.

"Dodane" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dodane Dodane is offline

Thank you Suzanne, you have confirmed my suspicion that what I want is not
that straight and easy to achieve. But at least now I know what I have to do.
Thank you so much, your response is being so helpful !

********************************

"Dodane" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dodane Dodane is offline

Suzanne, I have tried to follow your suggestions. No luck. I do something
wrong and I cannot figure out what.

I have applied Heading 1 to the Chapter Number line with the text formatting
I want for CHAPTER to be in, and then I direct format the number 1. When I
apply outline numbering and check Hidden the whole line disappears.

Also, could you please elaborate a bit about the SEQ field ? I dont know
how to apply it and to whom. I am completely lost, Im sorry.
I have tried to use TC fields, but they do not show up in the TOC either.
Everything is a mess.

I still hope for something good to happen€¦€¦

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I guess if you format the number as "Hidden," then the "Chapter" part gets
hidden as well; that makes sense. So you'll have to add your hidden
numbering to the title style instead. So, to review the play:

1. Chapter Number style (this one *won't* be Heading 1 now); in the "Number
format" box you'll type "Chapter" and format it with the desired font, with
numbering set to "None." Then you'll close the numbering dialog and, in the
paragraph, following "Chapter," manually insert a SEQ field to provide the
number: you can use the Insert | Field dialog or just type "SEQ Chapter"
(without the quotation marks) and select it and press Ctrl+F9. You may want
to save the resulting field as an AutoText entry. You can now format the
field as desired for the number.

Note that when you remove the numbering for this style, Word changes the
"Follow number with" setting from "Tab" to "Space," but there will still be
a space after "Chapter" in the "Number format" box. You'll need to delete
that (you can't backspace over it; you have to select it and press Delete)
or change the "Follow number with" setting to "Nothing" or else you'll get
TWO spaces between "Chapter" and your SEQ number.

2. Chapter title: Use Heading 1 for this one, using 1,2,3 numbering,
followed by "nothing" and formatted as "Hidden." This will be the number you
can pick up in lower-level headings, page numbers, captions, etc.

You can find more about the SEQ field in Word's Help, and you have to check
the "Table entry fields" check box in the Table of Contents Options dialog
to get TC fields to appear.

"Dodane" wrote in message

Suzanne, I have tried to follow your suggestions. No luck. I do something
wrong and I cannot figure out what.

I have applied Heading 1 to the Chapter Number line with the text

formatting
I want for CHAPTER to be in, and then I direct format the number 1. When

apply outline numbering and check Hidden the whole line disappears.

Also, could you please elaborate a bit about the SEQ field ? I dont know
how to apply it and to whom. I am completely lost, Im sorry.
I have tried to use TC fields, but they do not show up in the TOC either.
Everything is a mess.

I still hope for something good to happen€¦€¦

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dodane Dodane is offline

Thanks a bunch Suzanne, you made light - as always. )

I'll see what I can do, I hope this time it works.

Dodane