Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer72401 jennifer72401 is offline

Default References page range in a chapter

I've done some searching around for this, but have only seen examples to
reference one page.

I have multiple continuously numbered word documents and within many of the
word docs I want to reference the entire page number range for certain
chapters (see Chapter 2, page x to x). Is there any way to automate the page
number range?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think the only way to do this is going to be to set bookmarks at the
beginning and end of the chapter and then insert two cross-references, one
to each page, with an en dash between them.

"jennifer72401" wrote in message
I've done some searching around for this, but have only seen examples to
reference one page.

I have multiple continuously numbered word documents and within many of
the
word docs I want to reference the entire page number range for certain
chapters (see Chapter 2, page x to x). Is there any way to automate the
page
number range?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I may be remembering something from FrameMaker, but I don't think so
-- I'm pretty sure that it's in Word that you select the entire
passage you want to cross-reference using from-to pages, Insert |
Bookmark, and then when you Insert | Reference | Cross Reference to
that bookmark, it automatically gives the starting and ending page
numbers. (Unfortunately, you can't get it to condense the numbers
Chicago-style, so that 246-257 would become 246-57.)

On Feb 7, 6:18*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I think the only way to do this is going to be to set bookmarks at the
beginning and end of the chapter and then insert two cross-references, one
to each page, with an en dash between them.

"jennifer72401" wrote in message

I've done some searching around for this, but have only seen examples to
reference one page.

I have multiple continuously numbered word documents and within many of
the
word docs I want to reference the entire page number range for certain
chapters (see Chapter 2, page x to x). Is there any way to automate the
page
number range?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can bookmark a range and get this result by selecting "Page range" in
the Mark Index Entry dialog; I didn't see anything to indicate that such a
feature exists for cross-references. And in fact when I tried this I got
just the page number of the first page of the range.

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer72401 jennifer72401 is offline

I marked one entire chapter as a bookmark, but when I went to insert it in
another chapter the bookmark didn't show up. The bookmarks only seem to
appear in the document I create them in. How do i get them to show up in
other documents?

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer72401 jennifer72401 is offline

that is unfortunate. I have 16 files and in every instance where it mentions
another chapter i have to specify the page number range. Sometimes a chapter
will mention more than one chapter, so it gets pretty extensive. I'm bet
there's some visual basic language that can do it, but that is beyond my
understanding.

Thanks for your help

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a good illustration of why it is usually easier (and preferable) to
work on such documents as part of a single file.

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Word macro to extract chapter preserving chapter and page numbering [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 July 13th 07 10:07 PM
page range Raoul Microsoft Word Help 1 February 27th 06 06:25 PM
VBA: For Each Cell in Range jumps out of range? Ed Tables 2 January 26th 06 05:51 PM
Print Preview a Page Range Jack Page Layout 2 January 5th 06 01:58 AM
Help with 2-line chapter heads and cross-references SandyTechWriter Microsoft Word Help 1 February 4th 05 04:58 AM