Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Velo Velo is offline

Default Hyperlinks - broken on open of doc

Hello, I have quite a few links in my .doc and have found that when I save
and close then reopen the links are broken. I have read a few posts and have
the check box Tools|Options|General "update automatic links at open". The
hyperlinks only work when I insert them and until I close the file out. Once
it reopens they are broken.

Why are the links broken and how can I fix this?

thank you
using Office Pro 2003
XP Pro SP 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Velo Velo is offline

Hello Graham, thank you for the response. I am sorry about my late reply. I
encountered an issue with the reply form not appearing after hitting "reply".
I reinstalled IE 7 and now it seems to work. Spent about 3 hours on this.
Anyways, I hope this problem does not happen again.

I followed your advice below and it works for any new links however my old
links still do not open. After clicking it says "CAnt open specified file".
I thought that I cdould repair the old hyperlinks by Edit|Links and then
Update Now but the links are not there.

Any ideas? thank you

Velo wrote:
Hello, I have quite a few links in my .doc and have found that when I
save and close then reopen the links are broken. I have read a few
posts and have the check box Tools|Options|General "update automatic
links at open". The hyperlinks only work when I insert them and
until I close the file out. Once it reopens they are broken.

Why are the links broken and how can I fix this?

thank you
using Office Pro 2003
XP Pro SP 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Your old links won't revert. They have already been changed. You will have
to reinsert the links.The tip was to prevent them updating inn the first
place not to change them back again!

if you are using the web interface and the reply form doesn't appear you are
probably suppressing pop-ups.
It is much easier to access this newsgroup directly -
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

Velo wrote:
Hello, I have quite a few links in my .doc and have found that when
I save and close then reopen the links are broken. I have read a few
posts and have the check box Tools|Options|General "update automatic
links at open". The hyperlinks only work when I insert them and
until I close the file out. Once it reopens they are broken.

Why are the links broken and how can I fix this?

thank you
using Office Pro 2003
XP Pro SP 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Velo Velo is offline

Graham, thank you. IN regards to configuring Outlook to read newsgroups, I
do not have Express but instead use Outlook. I do not have the "News" option
in Tools|Customize|Go. Whats next?

thank you