Andrewwww

Default Email Merge on Word 2002?

I'd like to use the merge function on my Word 2002 to send emails to a list.
I've been using Eudora for my emails and would like to continue to do so, but
I'd be pleased to use Outlook if I need to. The problem is, I don't even
seem to have the option on Word to do email merge, because the "merge to
email" button is greyed out, and similarly, when I try to select the type of
document to merge, "email" is not one of the choices.

So my question is, how do I activate the email merge function on Microsoft
Word 2002?
Peter Jamieson

First verify that Eudora is set up as the default e-mail package e.g. in IE
or in Control Panel|Internet Options . Then try again.

If that does not work, Word is probably not finding some lines you need in
WIN.INI. I
would open the WIN.INI file in your Windows directory (probably c:\Windows
or c:\Winnt) using e.g. Notepad. Check for the following lines (which should
be present in /most/ Windows installations but which may need to be
different in some cases, so proceed with caution). If they aren't there,
make a backup copy of your WIN.INI and try copying/pasting them in:

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMC=1
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

As far as I can tell from experiments here a couple of years ago, Word 2002
should work fine with Eudora 5.2, and on versions of Windows with a recent
version of the MAPI dlls (e.g. Windows 2000 or later, or IE5 or later) it
probably
doesn't make any difference whether you use Eudora's version of MAPI or not.
However, things may be different on your configuration.

Also, as far as I can tell, no e-mail client except the full Outlook 2002 or
later lets you send HTML format mail.

Peter Jamieson