Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Steve Steve is offline

Default Mail merge fails in 2003

I have a Word document (target) I want to mail merge with an excel sheet
(source). I have followed the 6 prompts in the mail merge wizard in Word.
but when I come to step 5 (Preview your letters) the data from Excel doesn't
show in the address block that I inserted in Word for step 4.
The data certainly shows up when I "edit recipient list" in step 3 and I
have checked the boxes for the recipients I want. What am I missing?

An IT guy here at work said to make sure there was no blank in the first
cell of the column but I tried this but no luck
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When trying the following you will need the MailMerge toolbar which you can
enable in Tools|Customize. IMO in most cases it's easier to work with than
the Wizard anyway.

On the toolbar, use button 6 to insert one or more individual merge fields
that you would expect to be included in your ADDRESSBLOCK. Preview the
document again (button 8 on the toolbar). If you don't see your data, I
don't know what is happening, but post again.

If you do see your data, then the ADDRESSBLOCK is probably not working
because you have not "mapped" your Excel field names. At this point you can
go in two directions:
a. abandon the use of ADDRESSBLOCK and use individual fields instead. See,
e.g. Graham Mayor's article at
b. click button 10 on the toolbar ("match fields") and tell Word which
field names in your data source correspond to the field names in its
standard list. The point is that Word tries to recognise your field names
and do this mapping (or matching) automatically, but if you do not use field
names that Word recognises, you have to do the mapping/matching yourself.

Peter Jamieson

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a Word document (target) I want to mail merge with an excel sheet
(source). I have followed the 6 prompts in the mail merge wizard in Word.
but when I come to step 5 (Preview your letters) the data from Excel
doesn't
show in the address block that I inserted in Word for step 4.
The data certainly shows up when I "edit recipient list" in step 3 and I
have checked the boxes for the recipients I want. What am I missing?

An IT guy here at work said to make sure there was no blank in the first
cell of the column but I tried this but no luck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Actually my other merge page
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm is probably more