Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Peter is offline

Default Word97/2000

Probelms:

I bought a new laptop and tried to install my Word2000; unfortunately the
original disk is at home (abroad) and I will not get back there until
October. I have a copy but somehow the 25 digits are not there; only 20
which I think is what you get after installation in the old computer. Any
way of getting round it?

Anyway, I do have the original of a Word97 and installed it, but just
installed the basic Word. Now, I don't have a dictionary and when I insert
the installation disk to try and get more options I no longer get the
Installation Assistant, but just the contents of the CD.

Could you tell me how to navigate to wherever the other options are? I
though I would just follow Setup or Autorun, but I don't know which.

I am referring to the box that should come up automatically when you insert
the CD in the drive and that gives you 3 options: Install; Information;
Explore

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Peter,

Now, I don't have a dictionary and when I insert
the installation disk to try and get more options I no longer get the
Installation Assistant, but just the contents of the CD.

Go to the Windows Control Panel and run Add/Remove programs. That should
give you the option to run Setup in "Change" mode.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Peter is offline

Great! Thank you very much.

But now I am not sure if the dictionaries are there or not and I don't want
to load anything I don't need.

I installed originally only Microsoft Word and Office Tools.

My other options other than Outlook/Excel/PowerPoint/Access are (and they're
in Portuguese, so I have to give rough translation)

Microsoft Archive
Creation of pages for the Web
Access to data
Converters and filters

None of which sounds like dictionaries/Thesaurus but as it is a 97
Professional I would expect them to be there.

Can you help where I can find them?

Thank you

"Cindy M." escreveu na mensagem
Hi Peter,

Now, I don't have a dictionary and when I insert
the installation disk to try and get more options I no longer get the
Installation Assistant, but just the contents of the CD.

Go to the Windows Control Panel and run Add/Remove programs. That should
give you the option to run Setup in "Change" mode.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Peter,

Well, Office/Word 97 only provided proofing tools in one language if an English
version; two languages - the local plus English - for other versions. I can't
remember the details of how the 97 setup looked, and no idea what "Microsoft
Archive" would be, but you could try looking under that one if they aren't
under the Word lists.

As best I can recall, there should be a "Proofing tools" entry and, in this
case, options for English as well as the Portuguese tools. Just drill down
until you find it...

But now I am not sure if the dictionaries are there or not and I don't want
to load anything I don't need.

I installed originally only Microsoft Word and Office Tools.

My other options other than Outlook/Excel/PowerPoint/Access are (and they're
in Portuguese, so I have to give rough translation)

Microsoft Archive
Creation of pages for the Web
Access to data
Converters and filters

None of which sounds like dictionaries/Thesaurus but as it is a 97
Professional I would expect them to be there.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Peter is offline

Hello Cindy

Do you think the proofing tools (.lex files for inst) from the Word2000 can
kust be copied across ot the new computer and used with the Word97?

Peter

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Peter,

Do you think the proofing tools (.lex files for inst) from the Word2000 can
kust be copied across ot the new computer and used with the Word97?

The spell check, yes. Just copy it to the *.lex location, select some text in
Word and format it with that language. The spell check should pick it up.

Grammar is another thing altogether and probably will NOT work. Thesaurus is a
toss-up...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson Tom Ferguson is offline

The spellchecker insrtall option is on the dialogue under Custom Office
Tools. At least, thgat is the locatoion on the Office 97 Professional CD.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Peter is offline

Big, big problems!

having successfully installed Word97 I tried again to see if I could get to
install the 2000 for which I do not have the key with me.

It installed but asked for the key again when I first opened it and
therefore let's forget about 2000.

I uninstalled the 2000 and now I am unable to install the Word97 in again.

I don't understand what is happening.

It open up the contents of the D: drive; I press the Autorun folder; I get
the autorun icon; I press that and it goes back to the previous full
contents of the drive; and so on in a continuous loop.

I also tried to press ACMSETUP but it tells me that the configuartion
programme was unable to open ACMSETUP.scf.

I can only guess that by installing 2000 on top, now there is something in
the Registry stopping an older version from being installed!

help!

Peter

"Tom Ferguson" escreveu na mensagem

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jorge Bavo Jorge Bavo is offline

Please ignore last post. I've sorted it out.

Thanks

"Peter" escreveu na mensagem