Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John D John D is offline

Default Caption "Style" messing up Table - Figure distinction

I want "Table x" above tables, and "Figure x" below other things like maps.
When I Insert/Reference/Caption and choose, say "Table", the position box has
"above" (figure's position box has "below"). So far, so good.

But when I click, say, Table - Word changes all my previous "Figure x" to
"Table x".

When I click in either "Table" or "Figure" in my document, the "Formatting
of selected text" in the "Styles and Formatting" task pane (that's a task
pane - right?) has "Caption" - but "Caption" is not listed as an option in
the "Pick Formatting to apply" box. I think what's happening is that when I
insert, say, a Table Caption, I am inadvertently changing the Caption style,
which then automatically "updates" all previous captions to make them say
"Table" instead of "Figure".

How can I stop this? And, why doesn't Word have "Table Caption" and "Figure
Caption" (etc.) instead of just Caption as a style? And why isn't Caption
listed in the "Pick formatting to apply" box?

Thanks - John D
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_105_] Henk57[_105_] is offline

John:
You can display all styles in use, including the caption style. Open
the Styles and Formatting pane and select Custom... from the Show menu.
Some styles are not checked and will not show in the pane until you
check them.

You can make, based on the Caption Style, a Caption_for_tbl and a
Caption_for_fig. This also gives you the possibility to define
different spacing before/after and "keep with next" (for the
Caption_for_tbl.) Also, you can label the caption as you see fit
(e.g., "Map" instead of "Figure"). While you work you can still
right-click and add the caption, and than simply reassign the caption
to the relevant style.

HTH, Henk

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John D John D is offline

Henk - thanks. Sorry for tardy response - I managed to sort of wreck my elbow
on a genuinely old fashioned low tech project - moving a water heater!

Thanks for you help.

John D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

Thakns Henk57,
I had a similar question, and couldn't find the caption on the style list to
adjust. As you wrote, it was not checked in the custom list. As you
suggested, I created a new sytle based on 'caption' called 'caption-table'
and 'caption-fig' that has different spacing and keep with next. However,
when I use the Caption-figure the map document how lists them with a '-', but
clicking it doesn't open or close any other levels. I've updating these
captions by putting the cursor on the row or selecting the whole line (seems
to make no difference).
The caption-tables don't have this minus sign. Any idea what that might
mean? I don't want to create more problesm later from a buried/hidden
formatting.
~B.
~~ B.