Webford

Default Inserting document path field in documents

Could someone please tell us how you can have a field in the footer in a
document that shows the document path ie, where it is saved and what it is
called, without having to put this in manually?

Thanks
Paul

Go into the header footer uunder view, go to the footer, go to insert - field
- choose file name - if you want the path select that as well. Then before
you print go to tools - options - print and make sure the update fields box
is checked. The info will only update when you print or print preview.

"Webford" wrote:

Could someone please tell us how you can have a field in the footer in a
document that shows the document path ie, where it is saved and what it is
called, without having to put this in manually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jjaaccoobb

Thanks , but my problem is this : I used to be able to go to 'insert' and
chose 'file name AND PATH' but somehow I lost ' and path ' in my insert (
under insert and in the 'auto insert' box ) so now i can only insert
'filename' !! how can i get 'and path ' back. I tried simply typing in 'and
path' but that did not work because all i got then was 'file name and path '
inserted on the document instead of the actual file name and path . HELP !!
p.s do you have a good number for calling microsoft technucal assistance?
866-580-2199 never picks up. Thanks Jacob

"Webford" wrote:

Could someone please tell us how you can have a field in the footer in a
document that shows the document path ie, where it is saved and what it is
called, without having to put this in manually?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the header or footer, use Insert | Field to insert the { FILENAME \p }
field. Then select the field you have just inserted, press Alt+F3, and type
"Filename and path" (or anything else you like) as the name of the AutoText
entry. Because you have created it in the Header or Footer style, it will
appear on the menu on the Header and Footer toolbar.

(
under insert and in the 'auto insert' box ) so now i can only insert
'filename' !! how can i get 'and path ' back. I tried simply typing in

'and
path' but that did not work because all i got then was 'file name and path

'
inserted on the document instead of the actual file name and path . HELP

!!

"Webford" wrote:

Could someone please tell us how you can have a field in the footer in

document that shows the document path ie, where it is saved and what

it is
called, without having to put this in manually?

Thanks

Help to merge Image (Doug Robins?) JohnB Mailmerge 21 June 23rd 05 05:28 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Having multiple form fields automatically updated jrwaguespack Microsoft Word Help 3 March 25th 05 07:43 AM
How to make doc's FullName into an AutoText entry without first inserting it into document Larry Microsoft Word Help 9 February 2nd 05 02:54 AM
Text Form Field Ref in Footer Won't Update on Screen StarWine Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 04 06:17 PM