Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
teresav teresav is offline

Default Word reverting to default file location on file save

When you open a file through 'File open' in Word, it is supposed to
retain the file path information so if you click 'Save' it will save in
its original location. What is happening on some of our pcs is that
Word is reverting to default file location specified in
Tools-Options-File locations so when the user clicks 'Save' it saves to
the wrong location.

E.g. Default file location I:\Property
File opened from I:\Property\Jones
When the user has been editing the document and clicks 'Save' the
document is saved in I:\Property.

The user has not opened any other files in the meantime. Word just
seems to be 'timing out' and reverting to the default file location.
I've searched the net and Microsoft say that by design Word is supposed
to retain the last folder used settings but this is not happening. Any
ideas? We are using Office 97 SP2 on Windows XP SP2 over a Windows
Server 2003 network. This is an intermittent fault.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Teresav,

The most likely explanation would be that the user has a macro on the
system named FileSaveAs, perhaps paired with a FileSave macro, that's
pre-setting the path before the dialog box is opening.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
teresav teresav is offline

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for replying to this.

They don't have any FileSaveAs macros. It even happens on pcs which
have the default 27KB normal.dot.

I've kind of stopped tearing my hair out over this one as we're
supposed to be upgrading to Office 2003 early next year so fingers
crossed it stops happening.

Teresa

Cindy M. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ksav ksav is offline

I am having the same problem with my company's computers on our network. We
have WinXP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2 on Windows Server 2003. It (file
open/save) will go to different locations at different times - there is no
rhyme nor reason to this. Our default location is a network drive. I cannot
find any information on why it changes locations, whether saving an opened
document or just through 'File Open'.

Could someone please help?

Cindy M. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bell Bell is offline

Hi All!
Does anyone got a solution for this. I am having the exact same problem. Its
happening with some pcs in our network. When we do a file open to open a
document, for some time, when we do a file open again it shows the files from
the same folder, or we save it saves to the same folder.
But, after some time, it takes us back to the Default Documents Locations
instead of the folder we are working on.
Please help.
Its word 2000 on XP SP2.