Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Default I want some hyperlinks underline, some not...is that possible?

In WORD 2003, I have a quite long outline-list. I rely on underlining of
categories and subcategories in the levels of the list to easily skim through
it. Another tool I use are hyperlinks between the various subjects and an
index--I usually have links going both ways, from the index to the topic in
the text, or from the text back to the index. Unlike the
outline-levels/category-subcategories, I don't want to have the words in the
index underlined as this makes it much harder to read.

I desperately need both the underlined outline-levels, and the
non-underlined index. to make this document efficient. The problem is that
the two different areas are connected by hyperlinks (back and forth), and
when one inserts a hyperlink, it is either going to be underlined or
not-underlined depending on which you choose when you format the "hyperlink
character style". If I choose "underlined", then my index entries are all
underlined, making it much harder to use and less visually attractive. On the
other hand, if I choose "not underlined" for hyperlinks, then my categories
and subcategories are all without underlining--making it much harder to spot
my topic as I navigate. So I have to give up one or the other.

Is there any way to have more than one "hyperlink character style", so that
some links in a document are underlined and others aren't? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, you can have both, with a caveat.

I would leave the Hyperlink character style underlined, as it is when
unmodified.

In the Styles and Formatting pane, click the New Style button. In the
New Style dialog, enter a name such as Hyperlink No Underline. Set the
style type to Character, and the "style based on" to Hyperlink. Click
the Format button and choose Font. In the Font dialog, click the
Underline dropdown and select "(none)", then click OK.

Back in the New Style dialog, the description under the preview should
say "Hyperlink + No underline". Check the box for "Add to template"
and click OK.

Wherever you want a hyperlink not to be underlined, select it and
apply the Hyperlink No Underline style to it. For convenience, you can
assign a keyboard shortcut or a toolbar button to the style -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm

The caveat is that links in Hyperlink style will change to
FollowedHyperlink style (changing from blue to violet) when you click
them, but links in the new style won't change. I hope that doesn't
bother you.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 11:10:01 -0800, DeeDeeCee
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Thanks Jay. That perfectly solves my problem, and now I wish I'd asked sooner
before spending a few hours trying to puzzle it out. Even better, the caveat
won't be a problem since in this document I don't want the hyperlinks to
change after being clicked. I had already set "followhyperlink" to look just
like an as-yet-unused hyperlink. So, thanks a ton.

ddc