cdusty

Default Is there a compatability issue with Word and Works? What is the .

I have always used Word and Excel. The laptop I am considering only comes
with Works. What is the difference - is there a compatability issue between
the two? I do a tremendous amount of word processing and do not want
something that is going to cause problems.

Not so much compatibility as capability. Works is a nice little program that
does simple things well. It does not include all the functions of Office. If
you have Works Suite, then you have a full version of Word but nothing
comparable to Excel. If you are used to using Word and Excel, you will want
to get Office. It can peacefully coexist with Works provided you don't have
Works installed as part of Works Suite. If you do, uninstall it before
installing Office; otherwise Office won't install Word over the existing
version, and you'll end up with Office components that require different CD
keys for reinstallation or modification.

"cdusty" wrote in message
I have always used Word and Excel. The laptop I am considering only comes
with Works. What is the difference - is there a compatability issue

between
the two? I do a tremendous amount of word processing and do not want
something that is going to cause problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AdrienneJennings AdrienneJennings is offline

Default Is there a compatability issue with Word and Works? What is t

I need to convert some documents into Word documents that were originally
created in MS Worksprocessor. Help! I am a student at Kaplan U and I need
this terribly. Send links for downloads if you know of any Thanks Adrienne
Jennings
or

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Not so much compatibility as capability. Works is a nice little program that
does simple things well. It does not include all the functions of Office. If
you have Works Suite, then you have a full version of Word but nothing
comparable to Excel. If you are used to using Word and Excel, you will want
to get Office. It can peacefully coexist with Works provided you don't have
Works installed as part of Works Suite. If you do, uninstall it before
installing Office; otherwise Office won't install Word over the existing
version, and you'll end up with Office components that require different CD
keys for reinstallation or modification.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"cdusty" wrote in message
I have always used Word and Excel. The laptop I am considering only comes
with Works. What is the difference - is there a compatability issue

between
the two? I do a tremendous amount of word processing and do not want
something that is going to cause problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can get the Works converters for Word (probably not Word 2007) from the
downloads page of my web site.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Not so much compatibility as capability. Works is a nice little
program that does simple things well. It does not include all the
functions of Office. If you have Works Suite, then you have a full
version of Word but nothing comparable to Excel. If you are used to
using Word and Excel, you will want to get Office. It can peacefully
coexist with Works provided you don't have Works installed as part
of Works Suite. If you do, uninstall it before installing Office;
otherwise Office won't install Word over the existing version, and
you'll end up with Office components that require different CD keys
for reinstallation or modification.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.