Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Default Any way to merge two templates?

Hello.

I have a document with a certain style numbering system (1), (2), (3), etc),
to which I have given a name. Now I must style that document according to a
template given me by the journal to which I plan to submit the document. When
I attach the new template to my old document, the margins don't get updated
properly, even though I specified Automatically rebuild document styles.

So now I'my trying to fix the document in another way: start with their
template, renamed with a .doc file extension, and copy my document into it
chunk by chunk. When I do that, my Listnums are lost. They turn into things
like a) - oddly, the cross-references turn into things like i) - not (1),
(2), (3), etc. like I want. Re-doing them would be a huge chore, since there
are 93 of them, every single one of which is cross-referenced at least once.
How do I transport my particular Listnums (actually just one, but it has its
own name) into the new document? I can edit the a)-type listnums and make
them appear as (1), (2), etc., but then all the many, many cross-references
don't work, since they refer to the old, named Listnums, which this new
template knows nothing about.

Is there any way to merge templates, telling Word to only override the
current document template when the newly attached template conflicts with it?
(Supposedly that ought to happen, but as I said, the margins don't get
overriden by the new margins as they should be.)

Or some other solution?

Thanks!
--
Peyton Todd