kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Default Re saving macros problem

I just received a reply from Lisa. I was waiting for an email so it is a month old.
I am obviously having problems saving my macro on some documents as stated below. I need to read up on my problem . What questions should I ask please? I use a macro to change footnotes in word.
regards
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Since you have replied to an old thread, I see your post out of context
(because I'm using an NNTP newsreader where older messages get deleted
regularly).

In what way do you want to change the footnotes in Word? Which version of
Word are you using?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

I just received a reply from Lisa. I was waiting for an email so it is a
month old.
I am obviously having problems saving my macro on some documents as
stated below. I need to read up on my problem . What questions should I
ask please? I use a macro to change footnotes in word.
regards

--
kaye123

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Stefan,

"Stefan Blom" wrote

Since you have replied to an old thread,
I see your post out of context

As I don't understand exactly Kaye's problem, here the discussion:

Active post from kaye123:

[Word 2013]
I am obviously having problems saving
my macro on some documents as stated
below. I need to read up on my problem.
What questions should I ask please?
I use a macro to change footnotes in word.

Original question from 26. Sept. 2013:

I changed my footnote spacing by using a macro
(a long time ago).
I don't know if my problems with this macro lately
is why I have been loosing all italics in my footnotes
as I work with my document.

I use citation software and you can't change it manually.

I don't know what is happening and what I should be
looking at to troubleshoot the problem. I don't know if
they are related to each other.

So as a first step is there a simple answer as to
why footnotes are changing without factoring in
my macro? I don't really want to get into a
discussion about my macro at this stage.

Can anyone through any light on this please?
Using Word 2013.

My answer from 26. Sept. 2013:

ITALIC usually toggles: normal text will be
formatted italic, italic text will be formatted
back to normal.
Maybe, your macro or something else resetted
italic to normal. Or anybody/anything reapplied the
style "Footnotetext", so italic was removed...

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Lisa,

I remember those posts (from you and kaye123) in a completely different
thread (with the subject "Losing italics in my footnotes").

We have to wait for kaye123 to give us more information...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message
Hi Stefan,

"Stefan Blom" wrote

[...]

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

[quote='Stefan Blom[_3_];494862']Since you have replied to an old thread, I see your post out of context
(because I'm using an NNTP newsreader where older messages get deleted
regularly).

In what way do you want to change the footnotes in Word? Which version of
Word are you using?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Hello Stephan and Lisa
Using Word 2010 Win 32 bit
Can I start again because I have been doing some trouble shooting although I am not sure I can make my problem clear. I have had a macro for footnotes and I was using it trouble free. It is still in global templates. It was just a margin setting in footnotes. I have a lot of add ons because I have endnote citation software that opens with Word.
1. My main problem was that I have inadvertently saved some files in word and others in macro template. I didn't create this and don’t know how it happened. HOWEVER
2 I now have a normal.dotm problem. As a result I have a lot of files that appear to be roaming files and I cannot open them.
3 Normal.dotm. I only have one normal file which is macro enabled as I deleted all the others although I didn’t have any that were not macro enabled. But I cannot delete the last one because I get the message that I have a word document open elsewhere. I don’t have an actual document open but I do have word open without a document. I can’t get rid of this until I save it but then I get a message that a file is open so I don’t save and it goes away until I open a word file again. So I go for don’t save and of course it comes back again.
4 So I do not have a normal.dotm word file, just a normal.docm in macro enabled templates.

I have tried a few things. In options, advanced, I do not have prompt before saving ticked.
I have searched for normal.dotm and only have the macro enabled normal.dotm. I cannot delete this because I have the file open again. I also get a lot of files that are read only files. So all sorts of problems. This has only been happening over a week. Another option I have changed is preserve fidelity when sharing. I have ticked saved embedded fonts. I don’t know if this will fix the italics problem. In cut copy and paste I have changed to keep source formatting. But this seems to revert back to other options.
I receive files back from proofreading and they come back to me ok.
So my first problem is dealing with the normal.dotm files.
I hope you can make sense of this.

kind regards
I have just seen a document that explained that normal docm is supposed to be macro enabled. This article describes my problem in "Read only mode" with screenshots. http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles...tes/Normal.php

I cant print yet to read it thoroughly because printer has decided not to work.!! But I know the article doesn't show how to fix it. I have just opened all my documents but haven't tried saving yet but so far all is well. I have already followed instructions in options in the trust centre so this is ok. My documents are being sent back from proofing from a third party so this may be why I had trouble. . Especially related to read only files when I can't see this, but this has only occurred recently. The article is here
http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles...tes/Normal.php
.

Last edited by kaye123 : October 29th 13 at 07:20 AM Reason: New information

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Wilke-Thissen View Post
Hi Stefan,

"Stefan Blom" wrote

[...]

Hello Lisa
I have posted a full explanation of my problem. However as to the italics this appears to be separate as the macro is just for spacing of the footnotes and other documents haven't been changed. What do you mean here please? Why are3 some docs ok and not others?
ITALIC usually toggles: normal text will be
formatted italic, italic text will be formatted
back to normal. If it wasn't anything to do with the macro what else would cause this please? However if it is related to my overall problems oformal.docm please advise? OI have added a bit onto my problem and a link that tells me what happens but not a solution. I stated that I now know that normal.docm is by default a macro enabled template.
kind regards
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can't delete the Normal template unless you first exit Word.
However, I recommend that you don't delete the template but rename it
instead.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Could you show us the code of the macro in question?

With regards to italics being a toggle, this just means that if you
apply italics to regular text, you get italics (not surprisingly).
However, if you apply it again to the same text, you get regular text back.

This may cause unexpected results if there is a style conflict and/or if
italics resurface if you haven't modified a style correctly.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
Could you show us the code of the macro in question?

With regards to italics being a toggle, this just means that if you
apply italics to regular text, you get italics (not surprisingly).
However, if you apply it again to the same text, you get regular text back.

This may cause unexpected results if there is a style conflict and/or if
italics resurface if you haven't modified a style correctly.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[/i][/color]
Stefan I have tried to send you a reply and lost it twice. I had to got back to a capacha page and sign in again. I lost this so just trying again. I sent the script in this post. Should I have attached it.

Regards
kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaye123 View Post
Stefan I have tried to send you a reply and lost it twice. I had to got back to a capacha page and sign in again. I lost this so just trying again. I sent the script in this post. Should I have attached it.

Regards

Regards[/quote]

Thanks Stefan . Ok will try again and see if I can attach macro..

Macro. Obviously this is stopping my message from going through.

Normal template :.
This article describes my problem in "Read only mode" with screenshots. http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles...tes/Normal.php
I also get documents back from proofing but this has been fine for months. No problem. Should I change any settings to allow this.

Italics
These are only in footnotes an I use endnote citation software. I have had to redo it manually but it reverts. I found some endnote files in global template. Perhaps they are not supposed to be there , I only recall one of them being there.Sent a post to forum but no reply. It hasn’t changed any of my other proofed documents. It seemed to happen with normal template.

Macro
It is just for changing footnote to ordinary number not superscript and gives me spacing.
I have been using it a long time now. Strange. I went to make a new word doc to past macro but the new doc had writing on it. it is one I used for a couple of lines yesterday but it was still there in a new document!!
I have attached the doc from word..

Stefan just went into normal template and it brought up the same blank doc that had words written on it. Does this help explain any problems? When I sent the above message to you I got another message about template but too quick to see. Closed word and went into normal.docm and that is when I found the new document with words still on it. This is getting worse.Many thanks

Last edited by kaye123 : November 2nd 13 at 12:35 AM Reason: More information

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

[quote='Stefan Blom[_3_];494862']Since you have replied to an old thread, I see your post out of context
(because I'm using an NNTP newsreader where older messages get deleted
regularly).

In what way do you want to change the footnotes in Word? Which version of
Word are you using?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Hello Stefan
I am using this post because I wanted to get back to you to say that the problem I last wrote about is clear now. Don't worry about macros or anything else. It is a simple normal.docm problem.

I now have a supposedly blank document with writing on - "the quick brown fox" hereafter known as "the fox" for identification purposes. (before I just got an open window with no doc so now I can actually see what is happening) . It is now opening as a blank document and I cannot rename it because I get the message it is open even though I have closed all documents. So basically this is what was happening when I was opening and closing documents and getting messages and then not being able to change anything because a doc was open.

I cleared out all my macros that had been in global template and redid my macro and it is the only one in there.

So when I try and get a new document it comes up. My normal.docm are now found in "new from existing templates". If I try and do a search from start I go straight to the fox doc. It doesn't do a search.
I try and make a new one by going to file and open but it still brings up the fox doc.
So I need to rename it but just cant seem to be able to . Oh and I have ticked hidden files so I can see everything. Could it be a hidden file?

I hope this makes everything clearer. I am looking at a document on how to fix it but lots of different versions in the one article. The article warns about
making a new normal doc for existing files.

My macro was for all files because I don't do any other work with footnotes.
Thank you in advance for helping with this document.

As for one of the other questions re italics.
I still cannot understand why italics changed. What question should I ask to see if I can get an article or an explanation and fix please?

regards
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Are you trying to post an example document? Whether you can "attach" a file
or not depends on how you access these groups. What you can do is upload a
file to SkyDrive and post a link here.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" skrev i meddelandet

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494877']Could you show us the code of the macro in question?

With regards to italics being a toggle, this just means that if you
apply italics to regular text, you get italics (not surprisingly).
However, if you apply it again to the same text, you get regular text
back.

This may cause unexpected results if there is a style conflict and/or if

italics resurface if you haven't modified a style correctly.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan I have tried to send you a reply and lost it twice. I had to got
back to a capacha page and sign in again. I lost this so just trying
again. I sent the script in this post. Should I have attached it.

Regards

--
kaye123 [/i][/color]

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
[...]

Stefan just went into normal template and it brought up the same blank doc that had words written on it. Does this help explain any problems? When I sent the above message to you I got another message about template but too quick to see. Closed word and went into normal.docm and that is when I found the new document with words still on it. This is getting worse.Many thanks[/quote]

Hello Stephan
Re normal docm problem. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been unwell. I have resolved my normal.docm problem that has arisen in this thread. I am still unsure as to why I am loosing my italics but will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I can provide more information.
Thank you for your assistance
Kaye

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

[quote=kaye123;494883]
[...]

Want to make sure you get my reply so posted to a couple of yor posts.
Hello Stephan
Re normal docm problem. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been unwell. I have resolved my normal.docm problem that has arisen in this thread. I am still unsure as to why I am loosing my italics but will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I can provide more information.
Thank you for your assistance
Kaye

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

So things are OK for now? Do post back if the problem comes back. Actually,
you may want to post to an entirely new thread, if necessary, to get more
attention.

Good luck!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

kaye123;494883 Wrote:
'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

willardfm58 willardfm58 is offline
Banned

The answer to this question is really simple. Solar power is a pure and clean process. And also it’s a renewable energy resource. For electricity production, it minimizes the dependency on oil, coal, and natural gas. These fossil fuels are dangerous and pollute the quality of air, soil, and water. They are also responsible for global warming. There are numerous advantages of using solar power but the most are that it produces no pollution. You can know more about solar power and its uses here ptcl speed test