Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
martin martin is offline

Default "not" operator missing in equations for word 2007

The unary operator "not" is missing in the new equation editor. I've tried
both with and without SP1 for office 2007. I would expect to find it under
the symbol group "operators" but it is not present in any group.

The symbol is unicode 0x00AC and looks like a 90 degree angle. Here it is:
(hope it shows up correctly) ¬

It's purpose is described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negation

The only way to insert it into an equation seems to be to use charmap.exe or
use alt+0172. Am I doing something wrong or is it really missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 04:44:01 -0700, Martin
wrote:

The unary operator "not" is missing in the new equation editor. I've tried
both with and without SP1 for office 2007. I would expect to find it under
the symbol group "operators" but it is not present in any group.

The symbol is unicode 0x00AC and looks like a 90 degree angle. Here it is:
(hope it shows up correctly) ¬

It's purpose is described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negation

The only way to insert it into an equation seems to be to use charmap.exe or
use alt+0172. Am I doing something wrong or is it really missing?

It does seem to be missing. But it's easy enough to add to the Math AutoCorrect
list...

Insert a ¬ character in a document and select it. Go to Office button Word
Options Proofing AutoCorrect Options Math AutoCorrect. The character
should already be present in the "With" box. Type a 'name' such as \not into the
"Replace" box and click the Add button.

In an equation where you want the character, type \not followed by a space and
it will be replaced by the operator.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
martin martin is offline

That's a nice workaround. Thanks.

Will the operator be included in the next update for Word? Or in Word 200X
at least?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:10:02 -0700, Martin
wrote:

That's a nice workaround. Thanks.

Will the operator be included in the next update for Word? Or in Word 200X
at least?

I have no idea when or whether it will be included. You can submit it as a
suggestion.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Martin,

It was surprising to see a note that the newest version of the Office family Office 2008 for Mac apparently doesn't support OMML
(Office Math Markup Language)

Bob Matthews from http://designscience.com who drops by here from time to time would likely have more insight into what is in W3C
Math Markup Language MML and in Office MML. For Windows Office I'm vurious if that particular item is actually considered to be
missing or overlooked as a math operator, since 'not' is one of those that, depending on your purpose, may have more than one symbol
interpretation. There are also references to using a tilde ~ for unary and I didn't find much discussion of it in the W3C writeup
or in the discussion in the now ISO/ECMA standards that MS proposed and had approved and put forward It's one of the advantages
though of extensibility of the Equation feature, that you don't always have to wait for a new version g.

============
"Martin" wrote in message ...
That's a nice workaround. Thanks.

Will the operator be included in the next update for Word? Or in Word 200X
at least?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Default For Bob Buckland

Bob, can you email me privately?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide