Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Bobby[_3_] Bobby[_3_] is offline

Default formatting the word 'Figure' in word

Hi,

I am writing a paper with specific requirements for how figures are
referenced in the text.If you reference a figure in the middle of the
sentence you would say, "See Fig. 2." If it were to start the
sentence, you'd say, "Figure 2 shows..."

As far as I know, word will only say Figure 2. I have yet to find a
way to change this, other than manually editing the word to say Fig.
Unfortunately, this formatting is undone if autoupdate is at all used.

Any advice/suggestions?

Bobby
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Type in "Fig." and use the cross-reference to insert just the figure number
(without the label). Do this by adding the \# 0 switch to the REF field (for
more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm).

http://word.mvps.org