Graham Mayor

Unless you want the date on every page, put it in the text area. You can
always reproduce it in the header (if necessary) with a Styleref field.

Luc Benninger wrote:
I am creating a dot that will be used by several people. It contains a
createdate field, so a new document will have todays date. But users
may also write documents that should have dates in the past or
future, the date should therefore be editable manually.

As long as this field is in the content area of the document this
works fine, but it should be in the header area. There the field
seems to be updated automatically on every print or print preview. So
the date will be reset to the real creation date.

Anybody knows how I can prevent the field in the header to be updated?
Without using VBA or telling all users that they have to use the "lock
field" function (Ctrl-3) after having changed the date. Using Word XP.

thanks for any hints
Luc