Patrick Luijpers

Default TOC lists page numbers in Roman format, ref pages in Arabic format

The section which contains my preface and TOC has a footer that show page
nunbers in the Roman format. The next section has a footer which show page
nunbers in the Roman format.
When I generate the TOC (in the first section) the page numbers in the TOC
are displayed in the Roman format. How do I get the TOC to display the Arabic
format?
Stefan Blom

If you want the TOC to show page numbers in Arabic format, you'll have
to choose that setting in the Page Number Format dialog box: Place the
cursor in the section whose page numbering you want to modify. On the
Insert menu, click Page Numbers. Click the Format button. Choose the
desired "Number format". Click OK, and then click Close. Update the
TOC to see the change.

See also:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Note that it is possible to format page numbers in the document
different from those in the TOC. If this is what you want, in addition
to the steps described above, you have to modify the page number field
for the section in question. Here's how to do that:

Press Alt+F9 to change field codes. You'll se the Page number field as
follows: { PAGE }. Type \* roman \* upper so that you have:

{ PAGE \* roman \* upper }.

Press F9 to update. Click Alt+F9 again to hide field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Patrick Luijpers" wrote in message
The section which contains my preface and TOC has a footer that show

page
nunbers in the Roman format. The next section has a footer which

show page
nunbers in the Roman format.
When I generate the TOC (in the first section) the page numbers in

the TOC
are displayed in the Roman format. How do I get the TOC to display

the Arabic
format?

Stefan Blom

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
Note that it is possible to format page numbers in the document
different from those in the TOC. If this is what you want, in
addition
to the steps described above, you have to modify the page number
field
for the section in question.

Clarification:

Also note that if you want to modify the Page field code for a
specific section, you must unlink sections or otherwise the
modification will be for all of the linked sections, too.

To unlink a section: ViewHeaders and Footers. On the Header/Footer
toolbar, use the Show Next and Show Previous buttons to move between
sections (if necessary). Click the Same as Previous button to turn
that setting off (by default, the button is activated/turned on).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP