Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Franklnc

Default Mailmerge Errors with Office 2003

I've been using the mailmerge feature for years but I can no longer get it
to work with Outlook/Word 2003.
(I've tried it with all service packs)

I initiate the mailmerge from within Outlook 2003 (Outlook 2003 pst file)
and I can never complete the process. MS Word cannot open the Outlook
Address Book (data) and I get an error message....A required file
"Schdmapi.dll" could not be loaded.

I have tried this on 2 other machines with Office 2003 installed and they
all produce the same error message.
The file SCHDMAPI.DLL does not exists on any installation I have seen.

Help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Franklnc,

Try asking this in an OUTLOOK newsgroup. Schdmapi.dll has something to do
with the old Scheduler, and OL predecessor...

I've been using the mailmerge feature for years but I can no longer get it
to work with Outlook/Word 2003.
(I've tried it with all service packs)

I initiate the mailmerge from within Outlook 2003 (Outlook 2003 pst file)
and I can never complete the process. MS Word cannot open the Outlook
Address Book (data) and I get an error message....A required file
"Schdmapi.dll" could not be loaded.

I have tried this on 2 other machines with Office 2003 installed and they
all produce the same error message.
The file SCHDMAPI.DLL does not exists on any installation I have seen.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You can download the missing dll and instructions on its deployment from my
web site
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/schdmapi.zip

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi Franklnc,

Try asking this in an OUTLOOK newsgroup. Schdmapi.dll has something
to do with the old Scheduler, and OL predecessor...

I've been using the mailmerge feature for years but I can no longer
get it to work with Outlook/Word 2003.
(I've tried it with all service packs)

I initiate the mailmerge from within Outlook 2003 (Outlook 2003 pst
file) and I can never complete the process. MS Word cannot open the
Outlook Address Book (data) and I get an error message....A required
file "Schdmapi.dll" could not be loaded.

I have tried this on 2 other machines with Office 2003 installed and
they all produce the same error message.
The file SCHDMAPI.DLL does not exists on any installation I have
seen.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
FrankLNC

Are you using Office 2003 Pro and do you have this file on your computer?
And if so, where is it?
Earlier versions place this file in a subdirectory of Office, but I haven't
seen it in any Office 2003 installation.
I've used mail merge for years in other office versions.....stupid things
like this make me crazy!

Thanks

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Office 2003 Pro SP2 here and no Schdmapi.dll anywhere in sight, but
mailmerging from Outlook works fine. Sorry if that makes you more crazy.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Yes I am using Office 2003. No it wasn't present until I added it (see
instructions in the downloaded file). Yes it fixes the error.
I forget what the circumstances are that require it to be present, but you
can Google for it if you are interested.

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
FrankLNC

Making baby steps here. It looks like Word can access the Outlook address
book after adding the dll to the system32 folder, but I cannot complete the
final merging step. the option to merge is grayed out.

By the way....thanks for your help.

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You want to merge to e-mail?

Former Word MVP Peter Jamieson, who still occasionally frequents these
groups took an interest in e-mailing from mail merge and his response was:

First, make sure that the e-mail program you want to use is set up to be the
default e-mail program (e.g. via Internet Explorer|Tools|Internet
Options|Programs, and send at least one message using it.

Then Word needs some stuff in WIN.INI and/or in the Windows registry
before it will show you the E-mail option. I believe that for Word 2003 it
needs to be in the Windows registry, but that may depend also on the version
of Windows so it is probably better to put the information in both places.

For WIN.INI,
a. find the WIN.INI file in your Windows folder (typically c:\WINDOWS),
make a backup copy of it, and open it in Notepad.
b. ensure that the following text is in there, and add it if not

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

You will need to close all copies of Word before this change has a chance of
taking effect. It is probably safest to restart Windows to be completely
sure.

If that isn't enough, you will need to edit the registry. Proceed with
caution!

c. In your Windows folder, locate and run regedit.exe. If you're on an
older version of Windows you might need to use regedt32.exe.

Look for a key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi*crosoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

I would be surprised if it was not there in recent versions of Windows, but
if it is not, add it.

If it is there, I would expect to see
d. a subkey claled MSMapiApps
e. a number of "values" with the same names as are in the above list -
MAPI, MAPIX etc.
f. an additional value called InstallCmd

If you cannot see the (e) values, you need to add them. For each of the
values in the above list
g. right click "Windows Messaging Subsystem" and select New|String Value.
Note that although some of these items have numeric values, they should all
be entered as String Values.
h. enter the name, as above
i. double click on the name. A dialog box appears. Enter the value (e.g.
for the name CMCDLLNAME, enter mapi.dll) and click OK
j. You may also need to create the InstallCmd value, although I rather
doubt it. I am less sure about this and about what should go in there. On my
system, the value is:
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection MSMAIL 132 msmail.inf

When you have done them all, press F5. Then close all copies of Word and
restart it - or restart Windows, then restart Word and see if the e-mail
option has appeared.

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004) http://www.word.mvps.org