Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cardlaw

Default Convert Date Field to Text

I want to create a letterhead template which will have today's date at
the top. I would like to use the date field. However, when I save a
new letter, I would like the date field to convert to text spelling out
the date I wrote the letter, so if I need to reprint the letter at a
future date, it will not put the date of printing on the letter instead
of the original date the letter was written.
Any help would be appreciated.

--
Cardlaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Use a CreateDate field instead of a date field. Use a date format switch to
spell it out:
{ CreateDate \@ "MMMM dd, yyyy" }

If you still want to convert it to text, the select the field and press
CTRL+SHIFT+F9

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Cardlaw wrote:
I want to create a letterhead template which will have today's date at
the top. I would like to use the date field. However, when I save a
new letter, I would like the date field to convert to text spelling
out the date I wrote the letter, so if I need to reprint the letter
at a future date, it will not put the date of printing on the letter
instead of the original date the letter was written.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You are using a DATE or TIME field rather than a CREATEDATE field. This
field should be put in the original template if possible (instead of
inserting using the keyboard shortcut or header/footer toolbar button).

See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm for information on the
different kinds of datefields and how to format them.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Cardlaw" wrote in message

I want to create a letterhead template which will have today's date at
the top. I would like to use the date field. However, when I save a
new letter, I would like the date field to convert to text spelling out
the date I wrote the letter, so if I need to reprint the letter at a
future date, it will not put the date of printing on the letter instead
of the original date the letter was written.
Any help would be appreciated.

--
Cardlaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cardlaw

Thanks, all. Do you know the Mac equivalent for CTRL+SHIFT+F9 (to
change the field to text equalling its current value)? Or, what is the
name of the command in the list of all commands, so I can map it to my
keyboard?

For Charles:
I tried out your active checkbox macro template, and was told that the
certificate had expired. Do you have an updated version?
--------------------------------------
You are using a DATE or TIME field rather than a CREATEDATE field.
This
field should be put in the original template if possible (instead of
inserting using the keyboard shortcut or header/footer toolbar
button).

See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm for information on the
different kinds of datefields and how to format them.

Charles Kenyon

--
Cardlaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Yes: It is Command + Shift + F9, as listed in the Mac Word help topic
"Prevent changes to information inserted by a field"

Be careful: Mac OS has hijacked a lot of the function keys, depending on
your version.

The command name is "UnlinkFields".

On 6/2/06 3:49 AM, in article ,
"Cardlaw" wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Ctrl-6 also unlinks fields in Windows. Not sure about the Mac version.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

"Cardlaw" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

No: Mac Word has many different keystrokes, due to the operating system's
habit of hijacking available keys for system commands.

Control + 6 is unassigned in Mac Word (one of the vanishingly few key
combinations that is unassigned!)

Cheers

On 9/2/06 12:37 AM, in article ,
"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Ctrl-6 also unlinks fields in Windows. Not sure about the Mac version.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Header with picture or text box Scott Page Layout 15 April 28th 23 02:52 AM
Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document torajudo Microsoft Word Help 5 April 27th 23 08:57 PM
help, problem with text field in word 2003 Salvatore Microsoft Word Help 1 January 21st 05 03:40 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM