Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Raymond[_2_] Raymond[_2_] is offline

Default Hidden text or Non-print Text?

Hello,

I want to provide instructions on a form that won't print when I print out
the form, but will be visible to the Word form user whether or not the user
has Show/Hide Formatting toggled on or off....

Is this possible?

I'm using Office 2003 and creating a template to generate the form outside
of our org's network.

Thank you for your feedback!

Raymond

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Raymond:

If you mean an actual Word document form, then you might consider the Help
Text available for each formfield you create. This help can be displayed in
the status bar or when the user presses F1.

The only strategy for conditional text that I know of relies on use of
hidden text. You can arrange it so the hidden text is shown when the document
opens. You can provide specific buttons on a custom floating toolbar that
allow the user to voluntarily show or hide the instructions. Hidden text will
never print.

Finally, you could put the instructions in text boxes, which appear on the
drawing layer, not the text layer. You'd then have to change your print
options to clear the "Drawing objects" check box so the instructions wouldn't
print. I think the users might have to do that manually each session. Again,
you could provide custom buttons to accomplish this, or you could intercept
the Print command and add code to accomplish your changes.

Note that the customizations could be confined to the specific template that
your users use to create or edit the document in question.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

One option: If this really is designed as a Form the user will be entering
the information into Fields. When you print use the Print Option to Print
Data Only for Forms.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Raymond" wrote in message
Hello,

I want to provide instructions on a form that won't print when I print out
the form, but will be visible to the Word form user whether or not the
user has Show/Hide Formatting toggled on or off....

Is this possible?

I'm using Office 2003 and creating a template to generate the form outside
of our org's network.

Thank you for your feedback!

Raymond

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Bear

Bear wrote:
[..] Hidden text will never print.

"Never" is such a dangerous word. Tools | Options | Print has an option
to print hidden text.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Raymond[_2_] Raymond[_2_] is offline

Excellent!

I will try to figure out how to implement these tools with my new Word Form
Template...

Thank you very much!

Raymond