Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
yepp yepp is offline

Default CTRL+A+F9 does not work

MSWord 2003
300 page document with graphics

Trying to select all and update all fields. It doesn't work. I can
update by right-clicking on the TOC and update field, but why can't I
do it by selecting all? I want the cross-references to update as
well. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

random guess--the cross-references are inside captions and/or inside
text boxes of some sort. When you hit select all, I'm not sure it
applies to text boxes. It definitely doesn't apply to headers or footers
or footnotes.

Instead, try switching into Print Preview and back (making sure that
Tools | Options | Print has "update fields" checked) and then Word will
handle finding the necessary fields.

yepp wrote:
MSWord 2003
300 page document with graphics

Trying to select all and update all fields. It doesn't work. I can
update by right-clicking on the TOC and update field, but why can't I
do it by selecting all? I want the cross-references to update as
well. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
yepp yepp is offline

yepp wrote:
MSWord 2003
300 page document with graphics

Trying to select all and update all fields. It doesn't work. I can
update by right-clicking on the TOC and update field, but why can't I
do it by selecting all? I want the cross-references to update as
well. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

No, not in text boxes or anything... Why wouldn't this work? I have
always used Ctrl+A+F9 key to update a document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

no idea. Does switching into Print Preview and back update all fields?

yepp wrote:

No, not in text boxes or anything... Why wouldn't this work? I have
always used Ctrl+A+F9 key to update a document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
macropod macropod is offline

Hi yepp,

You need to use Ctrl-A to select the whole document, then release the Ctrl key before pressing F9 - otherwise you risk turning the
whole document into one big field (maybe you've already done that) .... in which case you'll need to copy the contents of the
document out of the field again, then delete the empty field.

Two other possibilities:

1. Are you sure you haven't converted the fields to plain text? Check by pressing Alt-F9 - any true fields will be delimited by
pairs of field braces (ie '{ }').

2. Could you have locked the fields via Ctrl-F11? Try pressing Ctrl-Shift-F11 to make sure they're unlocked.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

yepp wrote:
MSWord 2003
300 page document with graphics

Trying to select all and update all fields. It doesn't work. I can
update by right-clicking on the TOC and update field, but why can't I
do it by selecting all? I want the cross-references to update as
well. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
yepp yepp is offline

yepp wrote:
MSWord 2003
300 page document with graphics

Trying to select all and update all fields. It doesn't work. I can
update by right-clicking on the TOC and update field, but why can't I
do it by selecting all? I want the cross-references to update as
well. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I had it locked.

macropod wrote " 2. Could you have locked the fields via Ctrl-F11?
Try pressing Ctrl-Shift-F11 to make sure they're unlocked. "

this worked. Thank you so much. This was driving me crazy.