Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Liz Liz is offline

Default Unstable Styles

I've inherited some docs that appear to have unstable styles. My
understanding is the docs did contain many char styles prior to the docs
being handed-off to me. The char styles do not appear to be present when
styles are viewed from the organizer. I believe they were removed with a
macro.

The styles seem to be unstable. For example, upon opening the table is
formatted with a custom header style. Any idea what is going wrong, and how
to fix?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If styles are applied more or less at random, make sure to turn off the
"Define styles based on your formatting" option in the AutoCorrect dialog
box (AutoFormat As You Type tab). To open this dialog box, choose Tools |
AutoCorrect Options (Word 2003) or Office button | Word Options, Proofing
category, AutoCorrect Options button (Word 2007).

For more on AutoFormat As You Type settings, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Liz" wrote in message
I've inherited some docs that appear to have unstable styles. My
understanding is the docs did contain many char styles prior to the docs
being handed-off to me. The char styles do not appear to be present when
styles are viewed from the organizer. I believe they were removed with a
macro.

The styles seem to be unstable. For example, upon opening the table is
formatted with a custom header style. Any idea what is going wrong, and
how
to fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Liz Liz is offline

Thanks, Stefan. My "Define styles based on formatting" option is not
selected. I do note that the "Replace as you type" option is selected on the
"Auto Correct" tab and filled-in with a blue numbered format. I suspect this
is the issue. Do you know if this is a PC specific setting or doc setting?

"Liz" wrote in message
I've inherited some docs that appear to have unstable styles. My
understanding is the docs did contain many char styles prior to the docs
being handed-off to me. The char styles do not appear to be present when
styles are viewed from the organizer. I believe they were removed with a
macro.

The styles seem to be unstable. For example, upon opening the table is
formatted with a custom header style. Any idea what is going wrong, and
how
to fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

AutoCorrect entries can certainly be formatted, introducing undesired
formatting in the document. But note that an auto-correction is triggered by
a specific word (or abbrevation); the entry/replacement pairs are listed on
the left of the AutoCorrect tab (under "Replace text as you type"). If you
find that the formatting is in fact added via AutoCorrect, you can delete
the undesired entry, by selecting it in the list and then clicking the
Delete button.

Formatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in normal.dot (normal.dotm if you
are using Word 2007). Unless the Normal template is shared (which is not
recommended), it applies to a single user only.

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoCorrect.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...latesStore.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Liz" wrote in message
I've inherited some docs that appear to have unstable styles. My
understanding is the docs did contain many char styles prior to the
docs
being handed-off to me. The char styles do not appear to be present
when
styles are viewed from the organizer. I believe they were removed with
macro.

The styles seem to be unstable. For example, upon opening the table is
formatted with a custom header style. Any idea what is going wrong, and
how
to fix?

Unstable templates Stephen Connell Microsoft Word Help 3 March 24th 06 01:08 PM
Unstable Cursor Angela New Users 2 June 23rd 05 03:45 PM
The world is really unstable these days...... [email protected] New Users 1 May 16th 05 07:21 AM
The world is really unstable these days...... [email protected] Tables 0 May 16th 05 04:30 AM
The world is really unstable these days...... [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 May 16th 05 04:29 AM