Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kate

Default Printing compare documents minus formatting changes

Hello. I need to compare two documents using the Compare and Merge Documents
feature, and then print the resulting merged document. In the printed
version, I do not want to show formatting changes, just the insertions and
deletions. In the print layout view, I can hide the formatting changes (using
the Show menu in the reviewing toolbar), but when I print the "document
showing markup," the formatting changes still appear in the printed version.
(They do not appear when I print the "list of markup," but I need the full
document.) Is there a way to print the merged document showing markup without
the formatting changes? I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

What version of Word are you using? In Word 2003, when you choose Tools -
Compare and Merge Documents, there is a Find Formatting option that can be
turned off.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Kate" wrote in message
Hello. I need to compare two documents using the Compare and Merge
Documents
feature, and then print the resulting merged document. In the printed
version, I do not want to show formatting changes, just the insertions and
deletions. In the print layout view, I can hide the formatting changes
(using
the Show menu in the reviewing toolbar), but when I print the "document
showing markup," the formatting changes still appear in the printed
version.
(They do not appear when I print the "list of markup," but I need the full
document.) Is there a way to print the merged document showing markup
without
the formatting changes? I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lemlem lemlem is offline

(Several months later...) I am having the same problem in Word 2003, except
I'm not trying to print a merged document, just a regular document showing
markup. I can hide formatting changes, but they pop up in my printed
document. Is there a way to prevent this from happening (without going
through and accepting each individual formatting change)? Thanks.

"Kate" wrote in message
Hello. I need to compare two documents using the Compare and Merge
Documents
feature, and then print the resulting merged document. In the printed
version, I do not want to show formatting changes, just the insertions and
deletions. In the print layout view, I can hide the formatting changes
(using
the Show menu in the reviewing toolbar), but when I print the "document
showing markup," the formatting changes still appear in the printed
version.
(They do not appear when I print the "list of markup," but I need the full
document.) Is there a way to print the merged document showing markup
without
the formatting changes? I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I assume you're talking about the lines that indicate that formatting has
changed (as well as other changes). I don't think there's a way to
selectively suppress those lines just for formatting when printing a
document in Word 2003. This appears to be a longstanding bug.

FWIW, I just checked in Word 2007 (Beta 2 Technical Refresh) and the problem
is fixed there. So, you have that to look forward to if you plan to upgrade.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com