Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AmyMatt AmyMatt is offline

Default Mail Merge Letters but Keep like records together

I am using Word 2000 to perform a mail merge letter using an Excel 2000
worksheet as the data source. In my data source a person may appear more
than one time--in other words, a person may have multiple rows of data .
When I print my letters, I would like to consolidate the merged fields into
one letter when the name is the same rather than printing a separate letter
for each record, but I am not sure how to do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AmyMatt" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000 to perform a mail merge letter using an Excel 2000
worksheet as the data source. In my data source a person may appear more
than one time--in other words, a person may have multiple rows of data .
When I print my letters, I would like to consolidate the merged fields
into
one letter when the name is the same rather than printing a separate
letter
for each record, but I am not sure how to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AmyMatt AmyMatt is offline

I used the solution and it worked. However, there is a paragraph mark
between each record but none in my merge document. How do I remove them?

"AmyMatt" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000 to perform a mail merge letter using an Excel 2000
worksheet as the data source. In my data source a person may appear more
than one time--in other words, a person may have multiple rows of data .
When I print my letters, I would like to consolidate the merged fields
into
one letter when the name is the same rather than printing a separate
letter
for each record, but I am not sure how to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which approach did you use?

If you used the DATABASE field approach are you saying that there is one
extra paragraph for each inserted table, or one extra paragraph for each
row? If it's one per table, that's likely to be because Word 2003 changed
the way DATBASE fields "work" so that they /sometimes/ insert an extra
paragraph mark, and there's not a lot you can do about that except perhaps
to eliminate any paragraph marks that appear before or after your DATABASE
field in your mail merge main document. If the latter, it could be a
paragraph/style formatting issue.

Peter Jamieson

.