Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
oompa_l oompa_l is offline

Default trouble with multilevel formatting

Hi

I am getting extremely frustrated formatting multilevel numbered lists. I
have had trouble with this in the past too. I don't know if it's poorly
labeled menu functions or the fact that menus are nested one inside the other
but it's very hard to tell which numbered list I am modifying f in fact I am
modifying one and not creating a new one...What I am looking for is a way to
apply a numered list style and then go back and modify its settings. The only
way that I can sort of do it is via define new multilevel line list which
sounds to me like its making an altogether new list. In any case this is all
extremely aggravating since parts of the same list are behaving different
ways. Of course I'm assuming they have the same list style but as far as I
can see there's no way to tell one way or another

HELP HELP HELP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To modify a multilevel list (as well as most lists created in older versions
of Word), just place the insertion point in the first level 1 paragraph of
the list (for heading numbering, that means the first Heading 1 paragraph of
the document), and then use Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List. You are presented with a dialog box similar to the
Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word 97-2003 (and the instructions
at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html still
apply).

For new lists that you are creating in Word 2007, using list styles might be
a better approach. To create a list style in Word 2007, click Home tab |
Multilevel List |
Define New List Style. Name the list style. To get access to all options for
the list, click the Format button, and then click Numbering (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html if you need
more assistance with the options). Just like with "ordinary" multilevel
lists, it is a good idea to associate each list level with a paragraph
style.

List styles, once created, will appear under the "List Styles" heading at
Home tab | Multilevel List. You can click an icon to apply that list to
text. Also, you can make use of the Apply Styles task pane (Ctrl+Shift+S)
the way you can for other styles. If you attached paragraph styles to list
levels, it will be easier to apply the paragraph style to text directly,
though.

To modify a list style, use the Modify Style dialog box; the dialog box can
be displayed by right-clicking a list style (at Home tab | Multilevel List)
and choosing Modify from the context menu. And, logically, since list styles
are styles, you can also modify them via the Manage Styles dialog box or the
Apply Styles task pane. (They will not be visible in the Styles pane,
however.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"oompa_l" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
oompa_l[_2_] oompa_l[_2_] is offline

your post wqas incredibly helpful. seems like the process could be
streamlined but anyways...

one more thing: I know there is all sort of paragraph widow/orphan type
control to make sure you aren't left with the first two lines of a paragraph
at the end of a page...is there something like this for multilevel lists?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"oompa_l" wrote in message
your post wqas incredibly helpful. seems like the process could be
streamlined but anyways...

one more thing: I know there is all sort of paragraph widow/orphan type
control to make sure you aren't left with the first two lines of a
paragraph
at the end of a page...is there something like this for multilevel lists?

You can use "Keep lines together" to keep the text lines within a paragraph
on the same page, and you can use "Keep with next" to keep paragraphs
together; this works with numbered paragraphs as well.

You'll find the two options on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph
dialog box. To display the dialog, on the Home tab click the dialog launcher
button (on the bottom left) of the Paragraph group.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
"oompa_l" wrote in message
your post wqas incredibly helpful. seems like the process could be
streamlined but anyways...

one more thing: I know there is all sort of paragraph widow/orphan type
control to make sure you aren't left with the first two lines of a
paragraph
at the end of a page...is there something like this for multilevel lists?

You can use "Keep lines together" to keep the text lines within a
paragraph on the same page, and you can use "Keep with next" to keep
paragraphs together; this works with numbered paragraphs as well.

You'll find the two options on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the
Paragraph dialog box. To display the dialog, on the Home tab click the
dialog launcher button (on the bottom left) of the Paragraph group.

Corrected version: The dialog launcher button is on the bottom *right* of
the Paragraph group.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP