ilyaz

Default Footnote separator moved

I'm working on a large document in MS Word 2002 SP3. There are quite a few
footnotes on each page of this document. In the past, the footnote separator
(a short horizontal line just above the first footnote at the bottom of
page) was left aligned. However, today, I noticed that this separator moved
to the right and its right end is in the center of the page.
What happened? How can I restore it to it normal left aligned position?
Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

Daiya Mitchell

Switch into Normal View and go to View | Footnotes. A footnote pane will
open up at the bottom. Use the dropdown menu at the top of the pane to
access the separators. There is a Reset button also.

On 5/9/05 7:59 PM, "ilyaz" wrote:

I'm working on a large document in MS Word 2002 SP3. There are quite a few
footnotes on each page of this document. In the past, the footnote separator
(a short horizontal line just above the first footnote at the bottom of
page) was left aligned. However, today, I noticed that this separator moved
to the right and its right end is in the center of the page.
What happened? How can I restore it to it normal left aligned position?
Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya's instructions should work, but my experience with this is that
sometimes the footnote separator mysteriously acquires another style (one
that has a first-ine or left indent), or it can happen that a first-line or
left indent is applied to Normal style, and it inherits that.

"ilyaz" wrote in message
I'm working on a large document in MS Word 2002 SP3. There are quite a few
footnotes on each page of this document. In the past, the footnote

separator
(a short horizontal line just above the first footnote at the bottom of
page) was left aligned. However, today, I noticed that this separator

moved
to the right and its right end is in the center of the page.
What happened? How can I restore it to it normal left aligned position?
Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

ilyaz

Thank you both, Daiya and Suzanne! Sure, it worked, I'm back to normal.
Ilya
P.S. While playing with the footer, I discovered that changing the alignment
in the footer (page number from left aligned to the central), moves the
footnote separator too... Is this supposed to be so? How come they are
connected? In my document, the footnotes are outside of the footer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Daiya's instructions should work, but my experience with this is that
sometimes the footnote separator mysteriously acquires another style (one
that has a first-ine or left indent), or it can happen that a first-line
or
left indent is applied to Normal style, and it inherits that.

so
all may benefit.

"ilyaz" wrote in message
I'm working on a large document in MS Word 2002 SP3. There are quite a
few
footnotes on each page of this document. In the past, the footnote

separator
(a short horizontal line just above the first footnote at the bottom of
page) was left aligned. However, today, I noticed that this separator

moved
to the right and its right end is in the center of the page.
What happened? How can I restore it to it normal left aligned position?
Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

This shouldn't have any effect, but, to be on the safe side, make sure you
insert the page number in the footer itself (using the Insert Page Number
button on the Heaer and Footer toolbar) instead of using the Insert | Page
Numbers command, which puts the page number in a frame that can be
inadvertently moved out of place and then displace text (also, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...yIndented.htm; if you
deleted such a page number without deleting the frame, this could be the
problem).

"ilyaz" wrote in message
Thank you both, Daiya and Suzanne! Sure, it worked, I'm back to normal.
Ilya
P.S. While playing with the footer, I discovered that changing the

alignment
in the footer (page number from left aligned to the central), moves the
footnote separator too... Is this supposed to be so? How come they are
connected? In my document, the footnotes are outside of the footer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Daiya's instructions should work, but my experience with this is that
sometimes the footnote separator mysteriously acquires another style

(one
that has a first-ine or left indent), or it can happen that a first-line
or
left indent is applied to Normal style, and it inherits that.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.