Roger Nye

Default Mysterious line on each page

Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger
Carol

Hello Roger:

Try highlighting your entire document and then clicking on Format and
Borders and Shading. In Borders, select none. You may also want to read the
article below.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

I hope this has been helpful to you

"Roger Nye" wrote:

Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

Roger Nye

Hi Carol,
Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, although that got rid of all the lines I want, the mysterious
lines were unaffected.

Also they don't seem to have a paragraph that I can select and reset the
formatting with Ctrl+Q, being right off the bottom of the text area.

I should add, I wouldn't know how to put lines like this in with borders and
shading, if I tried, in that:
1. They are below the footer, but not faded the way the footer is when not
selected.
2. Selecting the whole document (Ctrl+A) does not select these lines.
3. They appear on every page although the document has several sections and
the headers & footers do not all inherit from the previous section.
4. They take the full page width, not just the text width.

Incidentally, I tried copying and pasting the entire document into a blank
one, but the lines came too.

Thanks again
Regards
Roger

"Roger Nye" wrote:

Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

If it appears to be in the footer (and especially since it repeats on each
page), there's a good chance that it is. If you have been unable to select
it or delete it, it probably isn't a drawing line and hence probably is a
border. The article Carol suggested,
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm will explain the
cause and cure for this problem and how to prevent it. Note, however, that
you must be in the footer pane before you can get rid of the border; using
Ctrl+A when the insertion point is in the document body will not select it.

"Roger Nye" wrote in message
news
Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different

footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

Roger Nye

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for your comments, but I don't think it is in footer.

Firstly, it is not faded (as the footer is) when the main body of text is
selected.
If I select the footer pane, then the footer becomes unfaded, but the line
fades with the main body of text.

Secondly, if I press Ctrl+A while editing in the footer pane, it does not
select the line. Removing borders as described in your article does not
remove the line.

Thirdly, it is not actually "in" the footer, it is below it.

I have tried the same with the header pane too and it isn't there either.
It looks like Word has introduced a Scarlet Pimpernel feature (the line is
dark red).

Best regards
Roger

"Roger Nye" wrote in message
news
Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different

footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

Carol

Just out of curiosity Roger, have you tried highlighting the text and pasting
it into a clean document to see if you see have the line? Has this document
been worked on by other people?

"Roger Nye" wrote in message
news
Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different

footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

Roger Nye

Hi Carol,
Yes, I have tried copying and pasting it into a blank document and the line
came too.

Incidentally, I also tried copying and pasting limited selections from
different (non-overlapping) parts of the document and although each of these
brought the line, it did not appear on every page (unlike the original).
It is possible it appears after a section break, but I am not sure.

No-one else has worked on it. I created it from scratch this afternoon.

Best regards
Roger

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If it appears to be in the footer (and especially since it repeats on each
page), there's a good chance that it is. If you have been unable to select
it or delete it, it probably isn't a drawing line and hence probably is a
border. The article Carol suggested,
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm will explain the
cause and cure for this problem and how to prevent it. Note, however, that
you must be in the footer pane before you can get rid of the border; using
Ctrl+A when the insertion point is in the document body will not select it.

"Roger Nye" wrote in message
news Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different
footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

Roger Nye

Hi SVC,

Exactly right!
It has gone.

Thanks
Roger

"Roger Nye" wrote:

Hi,
I am writing a document in Word 2003.

A mysterious line has appeared below the footer on every page.
On the screen it runs the full width of the page, even across the margins
and prints as far across as the printer can manage - ie. wider than the
document text width.

I can see no way to select, edit or delete it.

It appears in all document sections, even though they use different footers
and styles.

I tried opening with Open And Repair, but it did not report it as a
corruption.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to remove it?

Thanks
Roger

Carol

So glad I could help you Roger!