Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pasi Pasi is offline

Default Page numbers question

Want to tell Word to display a page number on pages one, two, and three, but
not on any other pages? Try using the following field, where braces are
inserted using Ctrl+F9.
Note: Make sure to leave spaces around the sign:
{ IF { PAGE } 4 "{ PAGE }" "" }

However Id need a solution to the situation that

there is real page number on pages 6 -50 (starting at page number one * so
the page numbers would be 1-46) and for the pages 51 - there is no page
numbers How should I modify the formula in that situation.

I would really appreciate if you would help this matter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Instead of trying to calculate the page numbers, insert section breaks on
pages 5 and 50, unlink the footers (or headers, if that's where the page
numbers should be), and restart the page numbering. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontMatter.htm for the
general principles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pasi" wrote in message
news
"Want to tell Word to display a page number on pages one, two, and three,
but
not on any other pages? Try using the following field, where braces are
inserted using Ctrl+F9.
Note: Make sure to leave spaces around the "" sign:
{ IF { PAGE } 4 "{ PAGE }" "" }

However I'd need a solution to the situation that

there is real page number on pages 6 -50 (starting at page number one ? so
the page numbers would be 1-46) and for the pages 51 - there is no page
numbers. How should I modify the formula in that situation.

I would really appreciate if you would help this matter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pasi Pasi is offline

Thx for your answer but this doesn't help me... because there is already
couple of section breaks already (because of change of page formatting) and
then always (even I trying link header) page numbers starts at number 1.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Instead of trying to calculate the page numbers, insert section breaks on
pages 5 and 50, unlink the footers (or headers, if that's where the page
numbers should be), and restart the page numbering. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontMatter.htm for the
general principles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pasi" wrote in message
news
"Want to tell Word to display a page number on pages one, two, and three,
but
not on any other pages? Try using the following field, where braces are
inserted using Ctrl+F9.
Note: Make sure to leave spaces around the "" sign:
{ IF { PAGE } 4 "{ PAGE }" "" }

However I'd need a solution to the situation that

there is real page number on pages 6 -50 (starting at page number one ? so
the page numbers would be 1-46) and for the pages 51 - there is no page
numbers. How should I modify the formula in that situation.

I would really appreciate if you would help this matter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you read the linked article? For each section, you can set the desired
starting page number in the Page Number Format dialog box. In Word 97-2003
you access this dialog box via the Header and Footer toolbar: click the
Format Page Number button. In Word 2007, on the Header & Footer Tools Design
ribbon, click Page Number, and then click Format Page Numbers.

The alternative is to use nested fields, something like this:

{ IF { PAGE } 6 "" "{ IF { PAGE } 51 "{ = { PAGE } - 5 }" "" }" }

Insert each pair of field delimiters, { }, by pressing Ctrl+F9. Press F9 to
update the selected fields. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes.

With IF fields and calculated page numbers, you don't need any (additional)
section breaks, but note that calculated page numbers will not display
correctly in, for example, a table of contents created by Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Instead of trying to calculate the page numbers, insert section breaks on
pages 5 and 50, unlink the footers (or headers, if that's where the page
numbers should be), and restart the page numbering. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontMatter.htm for the
general principles.

--
Stefan Blom